(Keeneland / Photo by Gene McLean)
From the Keeneland Media Team:
Keeneland’s 64th annual January Horses of All Ages Sale begins Monday, Jan. 11 at 10 a.m. ET with the first of four sessions of the auction, which includes the dispersals of Sam-Son Farm, Paul Pompa Jr. and Spry Family Farm. A total of 1,608 broodmares and broodmare prospects, newly turned yearlings, horses of racing age and stallions or stallion prospects are cataloged to the sale, which runs through Jan. 14.
To ensure the safest environment possible, Keeneland will employ robust onsite COVID-19 protocols similar to those used during the 2020 September Yearling and November Breeding Stock Sales. Attendance at the January Sale is restricted to credentialed sales participants only.
Keeneland will continue to offer online and phone bidding to enable buyers to participate in the January Sale remotely. On site, the popular third bidding location at the Show Barn next to the Sales Pavilion again will be available to allow for proper social distancing.
Notable dispersals headline January Sale
Three prominent dispersals highlight this year’s January Sale. The Sam-Son Farm Dispersal features 21 in-foal broodmares from the Eclipse- and Sovereign Award-winning operation in Ontario. On Sunday, Jan. 9, the Sam-Son mares will be presented to prospective buyers at Keeneland at Barns 12 and 14 at 9 a.m. The parade also will be livestreamed on samson.keeneland.com.
Lane’s End, agent, is handling the Pompa dispersal of 39 broodmares, yearlings, broodmare and stallion prospects and horses of racing age.
The Spry dispersal with Hill ‘n’ Dale Sales Agency, agent, cataloged 46 broodmares and broodmare prospects, yearlings and racing prospects.
Each session of the January Sale begins at 10 a.m. and will be streamed live on Keeneland.com. TVG2 will feature live coverage of the first two days of the sale from 10 a.m. until 7:30 p.m. The entire sale will be shown on the Watch TVG App.
Five additional supplements announced
Five horses are in the latest round of supplements to the January Sale, increasing the total number of horses supplemented to the sale to 29:
Added to Book 1 on opening day is:
- A 2-year-old filly by Pioneerof the Nile (Hip 400G) consigned by Taylor Made Sales Agency, agent, and cataloged as a racing or broodmare prospect. She is out of the Tale of the Cat mare Koodori Dawn, a half-sister to Grade 1 winner Dance to Bristol and from the family of Grade/Group 1 winners General Assembly, Chief Honcho and Poet’s Voice (GB).
Scheduled to sell during Tuesday’s second session of Book 1 is:
- Lucky Jingle (Hip 800M), a stakes-placed, winning 4-year-old filly by Tonalist. Consigned by Gainesway, agent, as a racing or broodmare prospect, she is a half-sister to recent Dania Beach (L) runner-up Fighting Force. Lucky Jingle is out of the Smart Strike mare No Splits and from the family of Grade 1 winner Karlovy Vary, Grade 2 winners Great Intentions and Mean Mary, and Grade 3 winners Country Light and Bye Bye Melvin.
Supplemented to Wednesday’s third session is:
- Vitalogy (GB) (Hip 1199H), a Grade 3 winner and Grade 1-placed runner cataloged as a stallion prospect. Consigned by Hunter Valley Farm, agent, he is a 4-year-old son of No Nay Never out of the Arch mare Sylvestris (IRE).
Thursday’s final session includes these two supplements:
- American Citizen (Hip 1579A), a 4-year-old colt by American Pharoah who is a half-brother to Breeders’ Cup Classic (G1) and $5.6 million earner Mucho Macho Man, Grade 2 winner Marconi and stakes winner Southern Girl. Consigned by Eaton Sales, agent, he is cataloged as a stallion prospect.
- By Your Side (Hip 1579B), a 4-year-old colt by Constitution out of Revered, by Dixie Union, who was fourth in the Dec. 26 Tropical Park Derby at Gulfstream. Cataloged as a racing or stallion prospect, he is consigned by Paramount Sales, agent.
Leading sires represented
Broodmares cataloged to the January Sale are in foal to a number of notable stallions, including American Pharoah, Bernardini, Candy Ride (ARG), City of Light, Constitution, Distorted Humor, Ghostzapper, Gun Runner, Into Mischief, Justify, Kitten’s Joy, Malibu Moon, Mastery, Medaglia d’Oro, More Than Ready, Not This Time, Nyquist, Quality Road, Speightstown, Twirling Candy, Uncle Mo and War Front.
Sires represented by their first yearlings in the catalog include Accelerate, Always Dreaming, Bolt d’Oro, City of Light, Collected, Good Magic, Good Samaritan, Justify, Mendelssohn, Mo Town, Oscar Performance, Tapwrit and West Coast.
Additional stallions with yearlings in the catalog include American Pharoah, Arrogate, Bernardini, Candy Ride, Constitution, Distorted Humor, Empire Maker, Frosted, Ghostzapper, Gun Runner, Into Mischief, Kitten’s Joy, Malibu Moon, Medaglia d’Oro, More Than Ready, Not This Time, Nyquist, Practical Joke, Speightstown, Tapit and Uncle Mo.
Credentials through Virtual Badge again required
From Jan. 9-14, access to the Keeneland grounds will be limited to January Sales participants who are credentialed through the Virtual Badge app. Credentials from the 2020 September and November Sales will not be valid for the January Sale, and participants should reapply for credentials.
Once again, all Keeneland employees, consignors and staff, as well as veterinarians and staff, farriers, van representatives, media and any other essential staff who will be interfacing with the public on a daily basis must have proof of a negative COVID-19 test within 10 days of their first entry to the Keeneland sales grounds. However, a COVID-19 test does not have to be taken at Keeneland.
Buyers are not required to receive a COVID-19 test but will pass through a daily health screening at the entrance gates.
Remote bidding options available
Keeneland again will provide expanded bidding opportunities for the January Sale to deliver a world-class experience no matter a person’s location. Through the Keeneland Sales Portal, bid online or over the phone for real-time access and live video from the sale.
Prospective buyers should register for an account and establish credit within the Keeneland Sales Portal.
Online bidding: Buyers may watch a real-time video view of the live sale and bid simultaneously from Keeneland’s online bidding platform accessible through their accounts in the Keeneland Sales Portal.
Phone bidding: Buyers can use the Keeneland Sales Portal to participate in bidding on horses by phone. Please notify Keeneland at least 24 hours prior to bidding. A Keeneland representative will call back prior to the bidding.
The Keeneland Sales team will answer any questions about expanded bidding options and the January Sale. Please contact Director of Sales Accounting Brent Hacker at 859 288-4231 or [email protected].
January Sale media resources
January Sale video and still photos are available on Keeneland’s FTP site for editorial use. The site will feature sale ring video and photos of top-priced horses, additional photos of interest and sale b-roll.
Access to the FTP site does not requires a username or password. Simply click here to access the site and open the folder titled 2021 Keeneland January Horses of All Ages Sale.
Photos and video are intended for editorial, noncommercial use only. Please credit as “Keeneland photo” or “Keeneland video.”
Keeneland will provide the following coverage of the January Sale:
- Visit Keeneland.com and social media (Facebook, Instagram and Twitter) for sales news.
- Timely updates about top-priced horses will be posted on Keeneland.com and on Keeneland’s social media.
- Press releases on each session will be distributed daily via email and posted on Keeneland.com.