From the Turfway Park Media Team:
Trainers Cox and Casse are ready as live racing returns to Turfway Park December 2nd
- Turfway Park is set to open for live racing on Wednesday, December 2nd.
- Racing will be conducted Wednesdays – Saturdays until January 3rd, 2021 after which the schedule will shift to Thursdays – Saturdays from January 7th through March 28th
- Each night will consist of 8 races with a first post of 6:15ET.
- The Jeff Ruby’s Steaks, a 170-point prep race on the Road to the Kentucky Derby, will be held on March 20, 2021 and headlines the Turfway Park Stakes Schedule.
- Several new trainers highlight the 2020 – 2021 racing season including Brad Cox, winner of four Breeders’ Cup World Championship races at Keeneland this past November and Hall of Fame trainer Mark Casse. Other new notable trainers that will have stalls on the Turfway Park backside include Mike Tomlinson, Ray Handal, Jonathan Thomas and Eddie Kenneally. Returning Turfway Park mainstays who will again be stabled on the grounds include 2019 – 2020 leading trainer Mike Maker, Wesley Ward, Jeff Greenhill and Kim Hammond.
- Brad Cox quote “I am really looking forward to having horses stabled at Turfway Park this winter. It will be the first time I have had horses stabled at Turfway since 2008 and this allows me the opportunity to race year round in Kentucky. Our horses have been training for a few weeks over the new Tapeta track and it appears to be an excellent racing surface. We are excited to be there and are looking forward to the race meet.”
- Several new jockeys will be calling Turfway Park home this winter including Chris Landeros, who will stay in his home base of Kentucky for the winter and Reylu Gutierrez who has spent previous winters in New York. Other new faces that will ride at Turfway for the winter include Rocco Bowen, Declan Cannon, and Jermaine Bridgmohan. Last year’s leading jockey Albin Jimenez as well as other Turfway Park regulars John McKee, Malcolm Franklin, Rodney Prescott and Gerardo Corrales will be back for the 2020 – 2021 race meet.
- The Wagering Menu will consist of a $.50 Pick 5 on races 1-5 as well as the popular $.20 Single Six Jackpot wager on races 3 -8. Both of which offer a low 15% takeout. Pick 4 wagers will be offered on races 2-5 and races 5-8. Traditional win, place, show, exacta, trifecta, superfecta, daily double and Pick 3 wagers will also be available.
Fans and simulcasting
- Turfway Park will be closed to only essential personnel and licensed thoroughbred owners with horses racing on the evening for the 2020 – 2021 race meet. Racing fans in the Northern Kentucky area are encouraged to visit Newport Racing and Gaming to watch and wager on races from Turfway Park. Fans from outside the area are encouraged to wager on Twinspires.com.