(Midnight Bourbon / Photos By Holly M. Smith)
We are back looking at the daily workout schedule from around the country. Every day (Some days?), we scour the work tabs at racetracks all over the country. We are looking for workouts that may be of interest and helpful to you — as both race fans and handicappers. Some of the horses we will be tracking, you will know. Some of them, you may not know — as of yet.
We are back…Take a look:
- Brooke Marie, a 6YO daughter of Lemon Drop Kid and trained by Eddie Kenneally, worked this morning at the Fair Grounds in New Orleans. Went an easy 3 furlongs in :36 flat. That was the bullet move out of 16 to go the distance today. This gal is on a real roll these days. She has won 3 in a row, including the Pan Zareta Stakes here in her last outing. Look for more out of this one. Good right now.
- Surfer Dude, a 3YO son of Curlin and trained by Dallas Stewart, worked at the Fair Grounds this morning, as well. This one — who broke the MSW at Churchill Downs in late November and most recently ran 3rd to Epicenter in the Gun Runner Stakes — went 4 furlongs in :50.60 today. That was the 47th best time out of 78 to go the distance. Keep an eye on this one. May be around the first Saturday in May.
- Midnight Bourbon, a 4YO son of Tiznow and trained by Steve Asmussen, is back in training at the Fair Grounds. Worked this morning, going a brilliant 5 furlongs in :59.80. That was the bullet move out of 42 to go the distance. Last time out, this one ran 3rd to Maxfield in the G1 Clark Stakes at Churchill Downs on Nov. 26. Was beaten about 31/2 lengths that day. Set all the fractions that day. This one has won only twice in 13 career starts, but does have 5 seconds and 4 thirds. Has earned over $1.67 in purses so far. This could be the year. Stay tuned.
- New Year’s Eve, a 3YO son of Kitten’s Joy and trained by Brendan Walsh, is our “Horses to Watch” of the day. This one has raced only once so far, winning the career debut at the Fair Grounds on Dec. 10. Won that one by 11/2 lengths after falling to last in the opening stages. Came 7-wide in that 1-mile event over the grass. Look for this one next out. He was visually impressive. Very impressive.
- Silver Prospector, a 5YO son of Declaration of War trained by Steve Asmussen, worked at the Fair Grounds this morning, as well. The multiple Graded Stakes winner has not run since May 31, 2021, when 3rd in the G3 Steve Sexton Mile Stakes. But in 16 career starts, has 4-1-3 record and is closing in on $1 million in earnings. Went 5 furlongs today in 1:00.60. That was the 4th best time out of 42 to go the distance. Be fun to see this one back at the races.
- Express Train, a 5YO son of Union Rags and trained by John Shirreffs, worked at Santa Anita this morning. Went 4 furlongs in :50.80, which was the 13th best time out of 13. A pure maintenance move, since he won the G2 San Antonio Stakes on Dec. 26. In 15 starts overall, has a record of 5-4-3. Earnings now over $815,000. Looks like this one is on top of his game right now.