(Nadal / Photo Courtesy of Santa Anita)
Every day, we scour the work tabs at racetracks all over the country. We are looking for workouts that may be of interest and helpful to you — as both race fans and handicappers. Some of the horses we will be tracking, you will know. Some of them, you may not know — as of yet.
- Digital, a 3YO son of Into Mischief and trained by W. Bret Calhoun, may be a prime contender for the upcoming G2 Louisiana Derby at the Fair Grounds. The colt won two in a row over the dirt track before disappointing with a 5th place finish in a division of the G2 Risen Star Stakes back in February. The colt got a 4-furlong drill this morning, going the distance in :50.40. That was the 70th best time out of 107 to go the distance. In 4 career starts now, this one has 2 wins and a second. Be interesting to see what happens next.
- No Parole, the 3YO son of Violence and trained by Tom Amoss, tuned up for this weekend’s upcoming G2 Rebel Stakes with a work at the Fair Grounds this morning. The undefeated Louisiana-bred went a brisk half mile in :47.60 — which was the 2nd best time out of the 107. Owner Maggi Moss purchased this one for $75,000 at the KEE September Yearling Sale in 2018, on the expert advice of the trainer. This may be the most intriguing horse on the “Road to the KY Derby” this year. I’ll be watching.
- Scabbard, a 3YO son of More Than Ready and trained by Eddie Kenneally, worked this morning at the Fair Grounds, as well. This colt went into the 2020 season as a top contender for this year’s Triple Crown series. After all, he ran 4th in the Breeders’ Cup Juvenile to finish up the year. But the April foal has started his year with a dull 5th in the G3 Leconte Stakes and a perplexing 6th in a division of the Risen Star. Work to do to get back on board. Worked this morning, breezing 4 furlongs in :49.40. That was 32nd best.
- Mailman Money, another contender for the G2 Louisiana Derby and trained by W. Bret Calhoun, worked this morning at the Fair Grounds, as well. The 3YO son of Goldencents went 5 furlongs in 1:01.60. That was the 12th best time out of 41 to breeze the distance. In 3 career starts to date, Mailman has delivered 2 wins. Most recently ran 4th in a division of the G2 Risen Star Stakes. But the late runner encountered a lot of traffic issues in that one. Look for more out of this one.
- Mia Mischief, a 5YO daughter of Into Mischief and a multiple Graded Stakes winner for the barn of Steve Asmussen, breezed 5 furlongs in a brisk 1:00 flat at the Fair Grounds. That was the 2nd best time out of the 41 to clock the distance. This one has not started since winning the Dream Supreme Stakes at Churchill Downs last November. But she looks ready. Right now.
- Nadal, another “super freak” from the barn of Team Baffert, worked this morning at Santa Anita. The 3YO son of Blame — who is a perfect 2-for-2 to start the career — worked 5 furlongs in a brilliant :59.60 — which was the bullet move out of 58 to clock the distance. He did it impressively. He did it easily. And, he appears ready to ship to Oaklawn Park for this week’s Rebel Stakes, too. On the day after Authentic’s impressive victory, Team Baffert looks poised for another big Spring.