(Maxfield after winning the Claiborne Breeders’ Futurity / Photos by Holly M. Smith)
(Bulletin winning the Pallisades Stakes at Keeneland / Photo Courtesy of Keeneland)
(Sistercharlie / Photo by Holly M. Smith)
(War of Will / Photo by Holly M. Smith)
Every day, we scour the work tabs at racetracks all over the country. We are looking for workouts that may be of interest and helpful to you — as both race fans and handicappers. Some of the horses we will be tracking, you will know. Some of them, you may not know — as of yet.
- Tonalist’s Shape, a 3YO daughter of Tonalist and trained by Saffie Joseph, Jr., had her undefeated, 5-race win streak snapped last time out when she could not make the early lead and faded to be 7th in the G2 Gulfstream Park Oaks on March 28. She returned to the main track today for her 3rd published work out since that debacle. Went 4 furlongs over the dirt in :48.12. That was the 4th best time out of 32 to go the distance. This one is entered to run in the Hollywood Wildcat Stakes at Gulfstream Park on May 15. Be interesting to see how she returns to the fray. Stay tuned.
- Impreccable Style, a 3YO daughter of Uncle Mo and trained by Ken McPeek, was dumped into the G2 Rachel Alexandra Stakes at the Fair Grounds on Feb. 15 right off a MSW win at Churchill Downs in September. Hmmm. Five month layup. Goes into a G2 Stakes. Has to face the likes of Finite and British Idiom and Swiss Skydiver? A little ambitious, don’t you think? She did return to run 3rd in the Bourbonette Oaks at Turfway Park on March 14. Could be really good if she is returned to her conditions. Worked at Keeneland this morning. Went 3 furlongs in :36.40. That was the 3rd best time out of 12. Just give her a chance.
- Bulletin, a 4YO son of City Zip and trained by Todd Pletcher, is truly an interesting sort. Won the first 3 starts of the career, including the opener in a Stakes race. But after winning the Pallisades Turf Sprint at KEE in the Spring of 2019, this one has not been closer than 3rd in the next 4 starts. Ran 10th in an allowance at KEE last October in the last outing. Got his 3rd published work today since being returned to serious training on April 25. Went 4 furlongs in :49.40. That was the 34th best time out of the 48. Be fun to see the one get back to his former self.
- Maxfield, a 3YO son of Street Sense and trained by Brendan Walsh, worked at Keeneland this morning, as well. The winner of the Claiborne Breeders’ Futurity at KEE last October went 5 furlongs in a brisk :59.20 — from the gate. That was the bullet move out of 34 to go the distance. It marked the 6th published work for the undefeated colt, who is being pointed to the G3 Matt Winn Stakes at Churchill Downs and a return to the “Road to the KY Derby.” Be fun to see this guy back. Whirlwind.
- Tulanian, a 3YO daughter of Twirling Candy and trained by Tom Amoss, put up a huge number on Sunday. The 1-time winner breezed 4 furlongs in a shocking :46.20. That was the bullet move out of 48 to go the distance. This gal has raced 5 times so far. Broke her maiden two starts back at the Fair Grounds going 5.5 furlongs on the turf. Ran 2nd the next time out and first time against winners. Lost by less than 1 in a race moved over to the main track, which turned up sloppy. Overall, has a 1-2-1 mark in those 5 outings. This is our newest Horse to Watch. She has some talent and some speed. Knows how to use both. Take note.
- Sistercharlie, a 6YO Irish-bred mare by Myboycharlie and trained by Chad Brown, worked this morning at the Palm Meadows Training Facility in South Florida. In 15 lifetime starts, this lady has put up a stellar record of 10-3-1. The “1” came last year in the Breeders’ Cup Filly & Mare Turf at Santa Anita. That snapped her 6-race win streak. She got her 2nd published work on the comeback trail today. Went 3 furlongs over the turf course in :37.35. That was the 5th best number out of 6 to negotiate the surface and the distance. She is still aways away, but it is good to see her return soon.
- Rushing Fall, a multiple Graded Stakes winner and also trained by Brown, breezed over the turf at PMTC this morning. Went 4 furlongs in :49.40. That was the 33rd best time out of 42 to go, and it marked her 6th published work since March 15. Rushing Fall has not run since finishing 4th in the G1 First Lady Stakes at KEE last October. But in 11 career starts, she has 8 wins and 2 seconds. Sweet. Should be ready soon.
- War of Will, a 4YO son of War Front and trained by Mark Casse, was entered to run in the Sunshine Forever Stakes at Gulfstream Park on Saturday. Was scratched from that tilt and is now being pointed to an event at Santa Anita. Worked 5 furlongs over the dirt track at PMTC this morning. Went the distance in 1:00.80. Nice move. The bullet time out of 6 to go that far. Looks ready. Looks primed. Let’s go.
- Merneith, a 3YO American Pharoah filly trained by Bob Baffert, worked this morning at Santa Anita. This gal — who ran off to a convincing and impressive win to break the maiden at Oaklawn Park last time out — went an easy 6 furlongs in 1:14.40. That was the 5th best time out of 9 to go that far. She is fit. She is good. And, she is ready for more. Stay tuned.
- Big Mel, a 3YO son of Quality Road and unraced in his career to date, bears watching. Bears close watching. In fact, he may be a bear. This one — who cost $800,000 at the KEE September Sale in 2018 — got his 6th published work out at Santa Anita today. Went 6 furlongs in 1:12.80. That was the bullet move and it is the third bullet workout in the last four morning preps. This guy can run. Period. Put on your list. Do yourself a favor. May be a force before this year is out.