Every day, we scour over the work tabs at racetracks around the country to find the latest exercises and practices that may tip you off as to what horse may be working “well” going into a race. You will recognize some of these horses; and others, you may not. Here is a closer look at today’s list:
- Gas Station Sushi is a 2YO Into Mischief filly that you should have in your Stable Mail. This one popped right out of the shoot to win her first try ever, and did so with an impressive time and a more impressive style. Captured that one by 31/2 easy lengths for trainer Richard Baltas and covered the 61/2Fs faster than a stakes race held on the same date. She is now being pointed for a Stakes race at Del Mar. Pay attention, and heed. She went 5Fs today in 1:00.60, which was 11th best out of 74.
- Sonneteer, a 3YO who ran in this year’s Kentucky Derby as a maiden, finally got his first victory in his last race and was back on the track yesterday morning at Del Mar. He went 5Fs in 1:00.60, which was 3 out of 22 to go the distance.
- Basha, a 3YO colt by Uncle Mo, won his first two career starts at Gulfstream Park last Fall, but has not been able to dent the scoreboard in his last four outs — all stakes races. If this one returns to the allowance ranks by trainer Alberto Zerpa, watch out. He went 5Fs at Monmouth Park this morning in 1:00.40. That was 6th best out of 26 to go the distance.
- Untrapped, who ran third in both the Ohio Derby and the Indiana Derby for trainer Steve Asmussen, made his first appearance in the a.m. work schedule since the last race this morning. He worked 4Fs in :51.60 breezing, which was 45th best out of 54 to work that far at Churchill Downs. It will be interesting to see where this one shows up next.
- C Dub, a 3YO colt I have been watching carefully all spring, continues to work like a demon in the a.m. He went 4Fs in :47.40 this a.m. for a bullet out of 54 to go that distance at Churchill Downs. This one has raced only one time (a 6th place finish at Oaklawn Park on Jan. 29). But he cost $475,000 as a yearling and is training like a real good thing right now. Watch for this one to hit the entry box soon after his third straight August work.