(Richard’s Boy, the gray / Photo Courtesy of Santa Anita)
Every day, we scour the work tabs at racetracks and training facilities all over North American searching for those horses that appear to be peaking at just the right time for a prime performance in the afternoons. Some of the horses that we track, you will recognize and know. Others, though, you may not — yet. Here is a closer look at some of today’s morning glories:
- Richard’s Boy, a top-notch 5YO gelding in the barn of Peter Miller, has not run since his impressive second place finish in the G1 Breeders’ Cup Turf Sprint at Del Mar on Nov. 4. He ran second that day to Stormy Liberal, and was beaten just a head in a heart-breaking finish for these connections. He was back in training today at Del Mar after surviving the ferocious fires at San Luis Rey Training Center. Richard’s Boy breezed 6Fs today in 1:13.40, which was the best time out of 3 to go the distance. We all should be rooting for this survivor in his next out.
- Contributing, a 3YO Medaglia d’Oro filly in the barn of Tom Proctor, breezed this morning in New Orleans. She went a half mile over the dirt surface at The Fair Grounds in :49.00 flat, which was the 11th best time out of 79 to cover that distance this a.m. Contributing was a tough-beat second in the Richard Scherer Memorial Stakes at FG in her last try. Keep an eye on this one.
- Lone Sailor, a 2YO Majestic Warrior colt trained by Tom Amoss, ran a troubled fifth in the G2 Kentucky Jockey Club Stakes in his last try. Before that he was 2nd to Gotta Go in the Street Sense Stakes at Churchill Downs and third to Free Drop Billy in the G1 Claiborne Breeders’ Futurity. He went a half mile in a brilliant :47.80 this a.m., which was the second best time out of the 79 to go it. Keep an eye on this guy. Looks to be pointed to the top Triple Crown preps in Louisiana.
- Conquistador, a 2YO son of Tiznow who is trained by Mark Casse, breezed over The Fair Grounds dirt track this morning. He went 5Fs in 1:00.80, which was the 10th best time out of 45 to go the distance. This is the second nice work here in a row for this guy. Keep him in your stable mail. He will show up in a MSW event soon after running a second and a third in his first two outs. Could be a nice wager in the next try.
- Terra Promessa, a multiple Graded Stakes winner who is now in the barn of Steve Asmussen, worked at The Fair Grounds this morning, as well. This 4YO daughter of Curlin breezed an easy 5Fs in 1:02, which was the 25th best time of 45 to go. She has not run since running second in the G3 Shuvee Handicap at Saratoga in July. She should be ready for a good try in her next, before she heads off to the breeding shed?
- Fight On, a top 2YO contender by Into Mischief, has shown up at Santa Anita for trainer Steve Asmussen. This one captured the Spendthrift Juvenile Stallion Stakes at Churchill Downs on Oct. 29 as a maiden. He has now put up 2 seconds and a win in four career starts. He worked this a.m. at “The Great Race Place,” going 5Fs in 1:01.20. That was the 17th best time out of 62 to go that far. Watch for him to sniff out a Stakes Event soon.