(Mind Your Biscuits wins the Lukas Classic at Churchill Downs in his last race / Photo Courtesy of Churchill Downs)
Every day, we scour the work tabs at racetracks all over the country. We are looking for workouts that may be of interest and helpful to you — as both race fans and handicappers. Some of the horses we will be tracking, you will know. Some of them, you may not know — as of yet. We will keep a keen eye and stopwatch to see who may be working well:
- Arklow, the 4YO Arch colt trained by Brad Cox, was back on the track this morning at Churchill Downs. The winner of two in a row — including the G3 Kentucky Turf Cup Stakes at KY Downs — went an easy half mile in :49.80. that was the 23rd best time out of 51 to go the distance. That was the fourth published work since his last win. This guy has a nice 5-2-1 record in 15 starts lifetime and now has earnings past $853,000. Look for him soon.
- Honorable Duty, a 6YO son of Distorted Humor and trained by Brendan Walsh, worked at Churchill Downs this morning, as well. The colt, who was 2nd in the G1 Stephen Foster back in June and, most recently, 3rd in the Lukas Classic Stakes at Churchill, went a half mile in :49.40 in a pure maintenance move. That was the 15th best time out of 51 to make the distance. This guy loves Churchill Downs. Loves it.
- Seeking the Soul, a 5YO son of Perfect Soul and trained by Dallas Stewart, worked this morning under the Twin Spires. He went an easy half mile, as well, clocking the distance in :51 flat. That was 41st of the 51. This guy won the G3 Ack Ack Stakes at Churchill Downs on Sept. 29. In 4 starts this year, he has a win and a second. Career earnings over $1.48 million. Is he Classic bound?
- Wonder Gadot, who is gearing back up now for a possible run in the Breeders’ Cup Distaff, worked at Churchill Downs for trainer Mark Casse. The Medaglia d’Oro filly went a half mile in a brisk :47.80. That was the second fastest time of the group. And, she looked impressive and like her old self. She ran a super race to be second to Monomoy Girl in this year’s KY Oaks. Was third in the G1 Cotillion Stakes behind Midnight Bisou and Monomoy Girl in that controversial finish in the last out.
- Copper Bullet, who was a bullet as a 2YO, keeps working his way back to the races. The son of More Than Ready breezed this morning at Churchill Downs and looked like the guy who set the world on fire last year. He went 5 furlongs in :59 flat, to be the bullet move of the day out of 23 to make the distance. This one has not started this year. But his win in the 2017 Saratoga Special was as impressive as any 2YO race a year ago. Would be great to have this one back in the afternoon.
- Mind Your Biscuits, who won the G3 Lukas Classic in his last out and now appears to be head strong right toward the Breeders’ Cup Classic, worked this morning for the first time since his last win. The 5YO son of Posse went 5 furlongs in 1:00.40. That was the second fastest time out of the 23. And, he looked like the man all the way around the track for trainer Chad Summers — who has done a magnificent job of getting this former sprinter to stretch out to the Classic distances. This year, the horse has made 5 starts with 2 wins and 3 seconds. What a racehorse.