Here’s a closer look at some workouts today (Sunday, July 30) and over the past couple of days that may be worth noting for the future race plays:
- Pretty Owl, a 3YO filly by Into Mischief who ran a game second in her career debut at Del Mar on July 19 to Classy Tune, was back on the track this morning at the track where the “Surf Meets the Turf.” She turned in a 4F work for trainer Bob Baffert, covering the distance in an impressive :47.40 time. That was second best out of 77 to cover the distance. She will be highly backed in her next out, but could be worth a shot down the road. This one is cut out to be a good one.
- Literary Critic, a well-bred filly who made our “Pedigree of the Day” list before that same MSW event at Del Mar, worked for trainer Richard Mandella today, as well. She went the same 4F distance in :49.40, which was 44th best. She was about 8 lengths behind Pretty Owl in her debut, but watch for her when the races get longer, and, perhaps, turn to grass. She is cut out to be a good one for Martin and Pam Wygod.
- Mor Spirit, who has been terrific for Baffert this year with three stakes wins and a second in four starts, got a 4F work today, as well. He went the distance in :48.80 handily. This one captured the G1 Metropolitan Handicap at Belmont in his last try, and, most assuredly, will get a start in an upcoming Stakes at Del Mar. Watch out.
- Awestruck, a 3YO daughter of Tapit who I have watched all spring with interest, was back on the track today, working 4Fs at Saratoga in a time of :48.99 over a fast track. It was the 11th best time out of 51 there. This one tackled Stakes company for the first time in her last try, in the Indiana Oaks. Didn’t handle the turn well there and that cost her any chance. That was a standout field, won by Overture by a tick over Mopotism. Watch for this one to come back soon with a big shot.
- Pocket Square, who was the first horse to make it on “The Pressbox Power Players” list, worked at Saratoga on Saturday for trainer Dale Romans. It was his second serious move at The Spa in preparation for his next start, which will come this Friday. The 3YO Into Mischief colt covered 5F in 1:02.15 on the fast track. That was 17th best out of 32 to go that distance. He is sitting on another outstanding performance. Be ready.