(Seek N Justice, on the inside, gallops at Churchill Downs / Photo by Holly M. Smith)
(Seek N Justice is now in training at the Fair Grounds / Photo by Gene McLean)
Every day, we scour the work tabs at racetracks all over the country. We are looking for workouts that may be of interest and helpful to you — as both race fans and handicappers. Some of the horses we will be tracking, you will know. Some of them, you may not know — as of yet. We will keep a keen eye and stopwatch to see who may be working well:
- Seek N Justice, a 2YO colt by Caleb’s Posse and bred and owned by yours truly, got his first published work from the gate on Wednesday at the Fair Grounds. He went 4 furlongs in :50.40, which was the same time he clocked going his first 4 furlong work a couple of weeks ago when breaking off from a gallop. It was the 35th of 55 to work on Wednesday, and trainer Buff Bradley was happy with the performance. Thus? We are very happy, too. Keep it rolling Seek.
- Kathak, a 2YO colt by First Defence trained by Brad Cox, worked at the Fair Grounds on Wednesday, as well. He went 4 furlongs in :48.80 — which was the 8th fastest out of 55 to go that far. This one has run once, already, finishing third on debut at Keeneland in October. He is entered to run back the day after Christmas. Might want to watch this one, who is bred and owned by Juddmonte Farm.
- Kingly, a 2YO by Tapit and trained by Team Baffert, worked at Santa Anita on Wednesday. This guy is a perfect 1-for-1 in his race career to date, and got his second work since his win on Dec. 1 at Del Mar. On Wednesday, he went 5 furlongs in 1:02.60 — which was the 33rd fastest time out of 65 to go that far. This one is bred to be a serious force as the distances get longer, and bears watching — like many of the 2YOs in this barn.
- Lord Simba, a 5YO Discreet Cat horse who also resides in the barn of Baffert, got a serious work on Wednesday, as well. This one had been away from the races for 16 months when he returned with a 4th in an allowance event at Del Mar on Dec. 2. This one has a serious run to him when he is right. Won the G3 Los Angeles Stakes and was third in the G2 Kona Gold a year ago. Look for more next time out. Went 5 furlongs in 1:02.60 on Wednesday, which was the same time as the 2YO above.
- Roadster, one of the first of the highly acclaimed 2YOs from Team Baffert to make noise this year, was back in training on Wednesday, as well. He went 5 furlongs in 1:02.80 — which was the 37th best time. This son of Quality Road broke his maiden in pure style on July 29, and then ran third behind eventual Breeders’ Cup Juvenile winner Game Winner in the G1 Del Mar Futurity on Sept. 3. Has not been seen in the afternoon’s since then, but appears to be working his way back to you. Will be interesting to see if this returns to favor soon.
- Coliseum, one of the newest stars in the Baffert Barn, worked 6 furlongs at Santa Anita on Wednesday, going the distance in 1:13.20 — which was the bullet move out of 10 to go that distance. This is another son of Tapit and is a homebred for Godolphin Stables. In his lone race to date, he galloped off to an easy and impressive 63/4-length victory going 7 furlongs at Del Mar. The big gray just may be another “real deal” from this group.