From the Media Team at Keeneland:
Keeneland’s horse sales, which are free and open to the public, are an exciting facet of the Thoroughbred industry with a tremendous economic impact of $590 million annually on Fayette County. We invite you to attend the September Yearling Sale between Sept. 10-13 or Sept. 15-23 to experience the sale for yourself and maybe see a future superstar sell.
Here are 10 tips for attending the September Sale:
1. Take a Tour. The best way to know where to go and what to do is by taking a Behind-the-Scenes Sales Tour on Sept. 9, 14, 18, 20 or 21. A special feature of Keeneland’s popular year-round tour program, these 90-minute guided tours offer an in-depth look at sales operations. Experience includes a tour of the Sales Pavilion and auction ring, followed by breakfast at the Grade One Grill in the Limestone Cafe. Tours begin at Keeneland’s Welcome Center at 7:50 a.m. and are $35 per person (includes a voucher for breakfast). Click here for more information.
2. Watch the Auction in Action. Free parking is available near the Sales Pavilion. Once you arrive, pick up a sales catalog in the Sales Office so you know which horses are selling that day. Feel free to take the industry publications available inside the entrance.
3. Roam Around. Walk around the Sales Pavilion to experience the fast-paced activity as thousands of buyers and sellers from around the world participate in the auction. Feel free to stroll the barn area or look at horses as they enter the Show and Holding Rings in the back of the Sales Pavilion
4. Where to Sit. Seating inside the Sales Arena is reserved for buyers and sellers, but you are welcome to take a seat on the viewing benches that ring the outside of the Sales Arena and watch horses be auctioned.
5. Get Something to Eat and Drink. A wide selection of tasty food is available in the Limestone Café. Beverage choices include the Keeneland Fall Ale, a lightly hopped American Pale Ale that is a collaboration between Keeneland and Country Boy Brewing in celebration of the Fall.
6. Take It All In. Walk around the Sales Pavilion and Limestone Cafe to see the outstanding paintings and sculpture that will be offered at the Sixth Sporting Art Auction on Nov. 18. Sales catalogs about the art are available from representatives in the Sales Pavilion.
7. Browse The Keeneland Shop. Offering unique gifts and souvenirs, the Keeneland Shop is located just inside the Grandstand South entrance and offers timeless equestrian-influenced apparel, jewelry, accessories and merchandise. Click here for more information.
8. Go Back in History. Visit the Keeneland Library located on the grounds. One of the world’s largest repositories of information related to the Thoroughbred, the Keeneland Library is free and open to the public. Guests will enjoy the exhibit “Artistry of Peb: Fifty Years of Features” now in its final days. The Library is open Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Click here for more information.
9. Tune In. Follow the September Sale on Keeneland.com and social media (Facebook, Instagram and Twitter) for short articles of interest and timely updates about the happenings at the September Sale. The sale is streamed live on Keeneland.com.
10. Fun for All. Attend the Jefferson Street Soiree on Sept. 12. Keeneland and Visit LEX’s Beyond Grits present the annual block party to celebrate the September Sale and Lexington’s culinary scene on Jefferson Street. The event, which spans Jefferson from West Short Street to Maryland Avenue, is 6-10 p.m. Click here for more information.