(Hog Creek Hustle / Photo by Holly M. Smith)
Every day, we scour the work tabs at racetracks all over the country. We are looking for workouts that may be of interest and helpful to you — as both race fans and handicappers. Some of the horses we will be tracking, you will know. Some of them, you may not know — as of yet.
- Chess Chief, a 3YO soon to be a 4YO son of Into Mischief, worked this morning at the Fair Grounds for trainer Dallas Stewart. This guy — who ran 3rd in the Oklahoma Derby and is a multiple Graded Stakes placed winner — traveled 4 furlongs in :50.40, which was the 29th best time out of 43 to go the distance. The colt — who has won only once in 13 starts to date — is entered in an allowance event here on Saturday. Might want to take a look. Over the last 5 races, he’s been in 4 Graded Stakes events. Now, may be in a good place.
- His Glory, a 2YO filly for just one more day and a daughter of Mineshaft, worked this morning at the Fair Grounds, too. This gal — who was second in the G2 Pocahontas Stakes earlier this year, went a half mile in :49.80. That was the 21st best time out of 43. In 6 lifetime starts, His Glory has a 2-1-1 record for trainer Tom Amoss. Look for this one to make a run at the preps for this year’s KY Oaks. Interesting to see how she will stretch out.
- Hog Creek Hustle, soon to be a 3YO for trainer Vicki Foley, worked a half mile in :48.80. That was 5th best of 43 to go this morning over the main dirt track at the Fair Grounds. This son of Overanalyze — who ran 6th in the G1 Breeders’ Cup Sprint in his last outing — was the upset winner of the G1 Woody Stephens Stakes at Belmont Park last summer. He appears to be a come-from-behind sprinter. But who knows what is in store in 2020. More?
- Finite, winner of 3 races in a row and the G2 Golden Rod Stakes in her last outing, worked this morning in New Orleans this morning, too. The beautiful gal — trained by Steve Asmussen for the ownership team of Winchell Thoroughbreds and others — went 5 furlongs in 1:01 flat. That was the 7th best time out of 35 to go the distance. In 5 career starts, she has 3 wins and 2 seconds. And, this one definitely has the look. The look of a KY Oaks contender.
- Go Google Yourself, an older mare by Into Mischief and coming off a nice second in the G2 Falls City Handicap for trainer Paul McGee, worked in New Orleans, too. She went 5 furlongs in 1:04 flat. That was 35th of 35. In 18 starts, she has a record of 6-5-3 and has now earned over $519,000 in purses. Be fun to watch this gal. Tries every time.