(Maxfield winning the Claiborne Breeders’ Futurity / Photo by Holly M. Smith)
Every day, we scour the work tabs at racetracks all over the country. We are looking for workouts that may be of interest and helpful to you — as both race fans and handicappers. Some of the horses we will be tracking, you will know. Some of them, you may not know — as of yet.
- Juulstone, a 3YO son of American Pharoah and trained by HOFer Shug McGaughey for DATTT Stable, worked this morning at Gulfstream Park. This one broke the maiden last time out at GP, in the 5th career start, with a powerful late run. Ran off to win by nearly 3 lengths. That was at the distance of 11/8 miles over the turf course. Interesting. Went a very nice half mile in :47.94 this morning. That was the 3rd best time out of 26 to go the distance this morning. Be interesting to see how this one progresses.
- Rare Stripe, a 3YO son of Flatter and another in the barn of McGaughey, worked this morning at Gulfstream Park this morning, too. Went 4 furlongs in a brisk :47.94, too, with the work partner above. Both went over the main dirt track. This one has raced only once before. Ran 4th after a horrid start where he was reduced to near last in the beginning. Look for this one to be a monster soon. I’ll be tracking.
- Maxfield, a 3YO son of Street Sense and a strong contender for major stakes events this year for trainer Brendan Walsh, worked this morning at Keeneland. This colt is undefeated in 2 career starts and is coming off an impressive win in the G1 Claiborne Breeders’ Futurity at Keeneland last October. Has been off since that time and was returned to serious training in mid February. Got his 7th published work this morning. Went 4 furlongs at Keeneland. Covered the ground in :48.40, which was the 6th best time out of 17. Look for this one to be ready for racing soon. Really looking forward to this one making the track again soon.
- Portrait, a 3YO daughter of Tapizar and trained by Brad Cox, worked at Keeneland this morning, too. This lady — who ran 3rd to Lazy Daisy in the G2 Pocahontas Stakes back in September at Churchill Downs — breezed 4 furlongs in :50.20. That was the 12th best time out of 17. In two starts this year, Portrait has run 4th in the Silverbulletday Stakes and 2nd in an allowance at the Fair Grounds. Should be ready for more soon.
- Misty Blue, a 3YO daughter of Competitive Edge and trained by Mike Maker, worked at Oaklawn Park this morning. This gal has been spot on this year. In 3 starts this year, Misty Blue has 2 wins and a second. In 8 starts overall now, she has a record of 3-1-0. Last time out, she ran 2nd in an allowance at Oaklawn Park. This morning, she was sensational. Breezed a half mile in :46 flat. Wow time. That was the bullet move out of 61 to go the distance. May be ready to test the Stakes company soon.
- Venetian Harbor, a brilliant 3YO daughter of Munnings and trained by Richard Baltas, has travelled from her home at Santa Anita to Oaklawn Park for the upcoming Stakes. She got a chance to stretch her legs in Hot Springs this morning. Went 5 furlongs over the dirt track in a snappy time of 1:00.80. That was the 6th best time out of 19. In 3 career starts now, she has 2 wins and a second. Last time out, Venetian Harbor swamper her competition out of the boat. Won the G2 Las Virgenes Stakes by nearly 10 lengths. Look for more out of this one soon. Oaks caliber.
- Much More Halo, a 3YO son of More Than Ready and trained by Bob Baffert, is our newest member of the “Horses to Watch List.” This guy lost by a head last time out when running 5.5 furlongs over the turf at Santa Anita. Look for him to break the maiden very soon, when racing returns to the West Coast. The ownership group purchased this one for a hefty $390,000 at he OBS-March 2YO sale last year.