(Tenfold at Churchill Downs / Photo by Gene McLean)
Every day, we scour the work tabs at racetracks all over the country. We are looking for workouts that may be of interest and helpful to you — as both race fans and handicappers. Some of the horses we will be tracking, you will know. Some of them, you may not know — as of yet. We will keep a keen eye and stopwatch to see who may be working well:
- Furiously Fast, a 3YO Violence filly trained by Mark Casse, has run two times so far in her career with a second and a first to break the maiden at Woodbine on Dec. 8. This one was purchased by Live Oak Plantation for $200,000 at the Keeneland 2017 September Yearling Sale and is now being pointed to a race at the Fair Grounds. She trained this morning, going a nice half mile in :48.20. That was the 7th best time out of 64 to go the distance. Keep an eye on this one. Talented.
- Givemeaminit, a Louisiana-bred son of Star Guitar, has won the last two in a row after shipping back home to the Fair Grounds for trainer Dallas Stewart. This one now has a 3-3-2 record in 16 starts, and over $400,000 in career earnings. And, one of the few Louisiana-breds who is now a Multiple Graded Stakes-placed winner. He worked this morning in New Orleans, going a half in an easy :49.40. That was 31st of the 64. Looks really good right now. Could pop against open company again soon.
- Oxford Comma, a 4YO daughter of Majesticperfection and trained by Tom Amoss, has 9 wins in 12 lifetime starts and is coming off an impressive win in the Orleans Stakes at Delta Downs on Jan. 4. She worked this morning, spinning a half mile in :48.80. That was the 20th best time out of 64. Look for her to inch her way up the Stakes ladder for a top barn. Good one here.
- Tenfold, a 4YO son of Curlin who has not run for trainer Steve Asmussen since his 7th place finish in the G1 Runhappy Travers Stakes at Saratoga last August, worked this morning at the Fair Grounds. In his first published work since that race, Tenfold went an easy half in :51.60. That was 59th of the 64, but he is back on the track and back on track, too. Will be good to see this winner of the G1 Jim Dandy again in the afternoons.
- Midnight Bisou, who was last seen running third in the G1 Breeders’ Cup Distaff last November, got to stretch her legs in New Orleans this morning. The 4YO Midnight Lute filly went 5 furlongs in 1:00.20. That was the 3rd fastest time out of 30 to go the distance. It was the filly’s 6th published work since the Breeders’ Cup. Should be ready soon. What a filly.
- Dream Pauline, a 4YO Tapit filly trained by Kiaran McLaughlin for Stonestreet Stables, worked at the Palm Meadows Training Center in South Florida this morning. She went a half mile in :48.90 — which was 6th best out of 38 to go that far. The filly won the G3 Sugar Swirl Stakes at Gulfstream Park on Dec. 15 to notch her third win in four career starts to date. What a nice filly. This was her third published work since that Stakes win, and she looks ready to roll again.
- Shamrock Rose, winner of the Breeder’s Cup Filly & Mare Sprint in her last race for trainer Mark Casse, worked at the Palm Meadows facility this morning, as well. She went an easy half in :49.55. That was 15th best. It was the filly’s fourth published work since her Championship win. Closing in on the first 2019 start.
- True Timber, a 5YO son of Mineshaft and runner-up in the G1 Cigar Mile for trainer Kiaran McLaughlin last time out, worked this morning in South Florida, too. He went an easy half in :51.95. That was 36 out of 38. In 16 starts to date, he has a 4-4-4 record and over $500,000 in career earnings now.