(Social Paranoia wins at KY Downs / Photo Courtesy of KY Downs)
(Dream Maker wins at the Fair Grounds / Photo Courtesy of the Fair Grounds)
Every day, we scour the work tabs at racetracks all over the country. We are looking for workouts that may be of interest and helpful to you — as both race fans and handicappers. Some of the horses we will be tracking, you will know. Some of them, you may not know — as of yet.
- Beautiful Memories, a 3YO daughter of Hard Spun and trained by Mark Casse, was back in action at the trainer’s winter home near Ocala. After breaking her maiden in the first career start, this gal was entered in the G3 Schuylerville Stakes at Saratoga. Unfortunately, she stumbled badly at the start of that event and was pulled up and walked off the track by her rider Jose Ortiz. Good job by the jockey. Returned to run 6th in the G1 Spinaway in the next start. No match for the eventual Breeders’ Cup Juvenile Fillies winner Vequist in that race. Got her first work since that race this morning. Went a very easy and comfortable 3 furlongs in :36.40. That was the bullet move out of 3 to go the distance. Great to see this gal back in training.
- Dirty Dangle, a 3YO Not This Time filly also trained by Casse, worked over the farm track today, as well. Was sensational. Went 4 furlongs in :46.80 — which was the best of 9 to go that far. It was her third published work since being returned to serious training on Dec. 4. This one finished the 2020 season with a 9th place finish in the Breeders’ Cup Juvenile Turf Sprint at KEE. Before that, though, she won back to back starts at Woodbine — including the Woodbine Cares Stakes. Look for her to stretch her legs on a racetrack surface soon. Looks farm ready.
- Dream Maker, a 5YO son of Tapit and another trained by Casse, worked at the farm today. Went 5F in :59.20, which was the fastest of 6 to go that far. This guy only made 3 starts in 2020 after running 3rd in the G3 Pat Day Mile at Churchill Downs in 2019. Was considered a prime KY Derby candidate before that. Finished the 2020 campaign with a win at Woodbine in September. Be nice to see this guy back at the track. Has talent. Will travel.
- Make Mischief, a 3YO daughter of Into Mischief and a top contender is some of the best 2YO filly races last year, worked at the Casse Training Center this morning. This March foal went 5 furlongs in 1:01.60 — which was 3rd best of 6. It was her 4th published work since resuming training at the farm in mid-December. In 5 starts last year, she had a single win. But she ran 2nd in the G3 Schuylerville; 2nd in the G2 Adirondack Stakes; 2nd in the Seeking the Ante Stakes; and 5th in the G2 Chandelier Stakes at Santa Anita to end the season. This NY-bred has a lot of talent. Headed to a track soon, it seems.
- Colonel Liam, a 4YO son of Liam’s Map and trained by Todd Pletcher, is coming off an impressive win in the Tropical Park Derby at Gulfstream Park on Dec. 26. Ran off to a near 4-length win that day and beat the likes of By Your Side, Fancy Liquor, Sole Volante and others then when going 11/16-miles over the turf. It was his 3rd win in 5 career starts. Back at the training track at Palm Beach Downs today. Went an easy half-mile in :49.57. That was the 9th best time out of 12. Look for more out of this one soon. Nice one.
- Social Paranoia, a 5YO son of Street Boss and another trained by Pletcher, worked at PBD today, as well. Went 5 furlongs in 1:01.23. Nice tightener and the bullet move out of 5 to go the distance. Looks ready for at the real deal now. This one has raced 16 times in the career. Has gone 5-4-5 in those races and amassed nearly $1 million in earnings. After a 5 month layup, returned to win at Gulfstream Park last month in an allowance event. Won the G3 Maker Stakes and the G3 Appleton Stakes a year ago. This one looks poised for something good.