(Enforceable / Photo by Holly M. Smith)
We are back. Sorry for the time off on the workouts. So busy with the LTS. But we will renew the updates now.
Every day, we scour the work tabs at racetracks all over the country. We are looking for workouts that may be of interest and helpful to you — as both race fans and handicappers. Some of the horses we will be tracking, you will know. Some of them, you may not know — as of yet.
- Enforceable, a 3YO son of Tapit and trained by Mark Casse, worked at Churchill Downs this morning. Breezed an easy half mile in :51.20. That was the 40th best time out of 45 to go the distance. It was the colt’s first morning drill since running 4th in the most recent G2 Toyota Blue Grass Stakes. Some still consider this guy a contender for the 146th running of the Kentucky Derby on the first Saturday in September. But? He has not won a race since the G3 Lecomte Stakes at the Fair Grounds in mid-January. Has not hit the board since running 2nd in the G2 Risen Star at the FG in February. Has much to do in the next six weeks.
- Reagan’s Edge, a 3YO daughter of Competitive Edge and trained by Cherie DeVaux, worked over the dirt surface at the Churchill Downs’ Training Center in Louisville on Friday morn. This one — who just ran a huge 2nd to Frank’s Rockette in the G3 Victory Ride Stakes — went a half mile in :48.60. That was the 6th best time out of 9 to cover the distance. It was the 2nd work since the Stakes debut. More to this one. Stay tuned.
- Donna Veloce, a 3YO daughter of Uncle Mo and trained by Simon Callaghan, worked at Del Mar this morning. This talented gal — who won the G3 Santa Isabel Stakes at Santa Anita back in March in her last start — went an easy 4 furlongs in :50.60. That was the 24th best time out of 31. It was just her third published work since being returned to serious training here on July 10. In 4 career starts to date, she has 2 wins and 2 seconds. Still aways away from the afternoon serious stuff, but bears watching on the return. Talent.
- Giant Expectations, a 7YO son of Frost Giant and one of the best NY-breds to ever come along, has not raced since finishing 10th in the 2019 Breeders’ Cup Dirt Mile. Before that, though, this one was second in the G2 Pat O’Brien Stakes at Del Mar. This morning, he got his 7th published workout in preparation for the 2020 debut. Went 5 furlongs in a brisk 1:00.60 for trainer Peter Eurton. That was the bullet move of the day. Great to see the “Great One” back in action. Looks ready to pop soon.
- Alandra, a 3YO daughter of Blame and trained HOFer Shug McGaughey, worked at Saratoga this morning. She went 3 furlongs over the dirt training track in a time of :38.61. That was the 3rd best time out of 5 to negotiate the distance over the surface. This talented gal — who ran 3rd in the G1 Alcibiades last Fall at KEE — threw in an absolute clunker in the G3 Indiana Oaks last time out. Ran last of 8 in the field. Mystery performance. She had won an allowance at Belmont Park in the race before. Drawing Board.
- Raging Bull, now a 5YO son of Dark Angel and trained by Chad Brown, is coming off a 3rd place performance in the G1 Maker’s Mark Mile at Keeneland. Before that, he won the G1 Shoemaker Mile at Santa Anita in May. Toured the Saratoga turf training track this morning, going 4 furlongs in :49.55. That was the 6th best time out of 25. Next time? Watch out.
- No Parole, a 3YO son of Violence and one of the best Louisiana-breds to ever come along, breezed at Saratoga today for trainer Tom Amoss. The brilliantly fast colt went 4 furlongs in an eye-popping :46.42. The bullet move of the day. The best work of the day. Maybe, the best sprinter in the land. Looks headed for the G1 H. Allen Jerkens Stakes on Travers Day. Has won two in a row now and 5 out of 6 lifetime. Last win came in the G1 Woody Stephens. In hand. Spectacular.
- Tom’s d’Etat, perhaps the best older horse in training these days and conditioned by Albert Stall, Jr., worked at “The Spa” today, as well. He went a half mile in :48.22, which was the 5th best time out of the 26. Tom has now won 4 major Stakes events in a row — including the G2 Stephen Foster at Churchill Downs in his last outing. Over 18 career starts, he has 11 wins, 2 seconds and a third. Career earnings now exceed $1.627 million. The 7YO son of Smart Strike has never been better. Ever.
- Enola Gray, a 3YO daughter of Uncle Mo and another talented gal in the barn of Shug McGaughey, breezed at Saratoga today, too. Went an easy half over the dirt training track in :49.12. That was still the 4th best time out of 22. In 3 career starts, this one has 2 wins — including the G2 Appalachian Stakes at KEE on July 11. Headed to the KY Oaks. Headed fast.