(Mr. Money after winning the G3 Pat Day Mile on KY Derby Day 2019 / Photo by Holly M. Smith)
Every day, we scour the work tabs at racetracks all over the country. We are looking for workouts that may be of interest and helpful to you — as both race fans and handicappers. Some of the horses we will be tracking, you will know. Some of them, you may not know — as of yet. We will keep a keen eye and stopwatch to see who may be working well:
- Aquadini, a 3YO son of Bernardini trained by Dallas Stewart, chased the KY Dery Trail earlier this spring. After an impressive win and a second at the Fair Grounds, though, he fired a 12th in the Toyota Blue Grass Stakes (from an impossible post) and a 9th in an allowance at Churchill Downs. Was impressive again today. Worked a half mile in :47.80. That was the 5th fastest time out of 52. Watch for this guy. He’s got the talent.
- Chess Chief, a 3YO Into Mischief colt and also trained by Stewart, worked this morning at Churchill Downs, as well. He went the half mile in :48 flat, which was 10th best of the 52. After running 5th in the Blue Grass, he returned with a 6th in the Oaklawn Invitational Stakes. Was behind Laughing Fox, Night Ops, Roiland and other in that one. Keep a track of this one. If he drops back into allowance company, he could be a handful.
- Chaos Theory, a 4YO son of Curlin and trained by Brendan Walsh, has been a handful this spring since he was converted into a grass sprint expert. Won an allowance at the Fair Grounds on Jan. 20. Came back to win the Colonel Power there in the next out. Then ran 4th in the G2 Shakertown at KEE, and a game 3rd in the G2 Twin Spires Turf Sprint on May 3. Worked this morning in Louisville, going 4 furlongs over the dirt in :48.40. That was 15th best of the 52. Watch for this one, too.
- Mr. Money, impressive winner of the G3 Pat Day Mile in his last out for trainer W. Bret Calhoun, worked this morning at Churchill Downs. Went a half mile in a blistering :47 flat. That was the 2nd best time out of 52 to go that far. In 7 lifetime starts now, he has a 2-2-0 record — with a fourth in the Breeders’ Cup Juvenile last November. Sitting on ready for the next out — which could be on Belmont Stakes Day.
- Silver Dust, another dandy in the barn of Calhoun, worked this morning, as well. Went an easy half in :48.40. That was 15th of the 52. This guy had a great Winter in New Orleans, winning the G3 Mineshaft and running second in the G2 New Orleans Handicap. Was 4th in the G2 Alysheba Stakes, despite some obstacles in that one. Look for more out of this 5YO son of Tapit. He’s game.
- Promiss Fulfilled, who became one of the world’s best sprinters a year ago for trainer Dale Romans, was brilliant this morning at Churchill Downs. The son of Shackleford worked 5 furlongs in a swift :58.80 — which was the bullet move out of 12 to go that far. In the first two starts this year, this colt has a 4th in Dubai and a 3rd in the G1 Churchill Downs Sprint. Should be about ready to fire the next time out. Look out. Brilliant talent.