(Serengeti Empress winning the KY Oaks / Photo by Holly M. Smith)
Every day, we scour the work tabs at racetracks all over the country. We are looking for workouts that may be of interest and helpful to you — as both race fans and handicappers. Some of the horses we will be tracking, you will know. Some of them, you may not know — as of yet. We will keep a keen eye and stopwatch to see who may be working well:
- Chocolate Martini, a 4YO daughter of Broken Vow and trained by Tom Amoss, got her first work on the comeback trail this morning at Churchill Downs. The Graded Stakes winner toured 3 furlongs in an easy :38.40, which was the 3rd best time out of 4 to go that far this a.m. The filly — who the G2 Fair Grounds Oaks in 2018 — has not raced since finishing 7th in the G1 La Troienne Stakes at Churchill on May 3. In 3 starts this year, she does have a win — in an allowance event at Oaklawn Park back in February. Hope she returns in style.
- Enforceable, a promising 2YO colt by Tapit and trained by Mark Casse, worked at Churchill Downs this morning, as well. The colt — who cost a nifty $775,000 to purchase at the 2018 KEE September Yearling Sale — went a half mile in a nice :48 flat. That was the 8th best time out of 93 to go that far. Enforceable won his last time out at Saratoga and now must move up to face winners for the first time. But he is looking like he is starting to figure out this racing thing. And, when Tapit’s do that? Look out.
- Promises Fulfilled, the Multiple Graded Stakes winning son of Shackleford and trained by Dale Romans, breezed under the Twin Spires today. The 4YO colt — who was 6th in the G1 Forego Stakes in his last outing on Aug. 24 — went a half mile in a leisurely :48.60. He can do that in his sleep. That was 20th best of the 93. Has won only once this year, but it was two races ago in the G2 John A. Nerud Stakes.
- Serengeti Empress, the 3YO daughter of Alteration and trained by the accomplished Tom Amoss, worked this morning at Churchill Downs. The winner of the KY Oaks here this Spring, has returned to run second in both the G1 Acorn Stakes at Belmont and second in the G1 Test Stakes at Saratoga this summer. Now, sights are set even higher. She breezed this morning, going a half mile in :48.80 — which was 23rd best of 93. It was her third published work since Aug. 29. Look for this one to sharpen the blade as she approaches her next start. Brilliant. Simply brilliant.
- Covfefe, a brilliantly fast daughter of Into Mischief and trained by Brad Cox, worked this morning, too. She was a dart. Went 5 furlongs in :59.40, which was the bullet move out of 28 to go that far. In 6 lifetime starts, Covfefe has 4 wins and a third. In the last out, she bested Serengeti in the Test Stakes. The race before, she was 3rd when facing older fillies in the Roxelana Stakes at Churchill Downs. Showdown looming.