(Warrior’s Club / Holly M. Smith)
Every day, we scour the work tabs at racetracks all over the country. We are looking for workouts that may be of interest and helpful to you — as both race fans and handicappers. Some of the horses we will be tracking, you will know. Some of them, you may not know — as of yet. We will keep a keen eye and stopwatch to see who may be working well:
- Warrior’s Club, a 5YO Warrior’s Reward colt trained by D. Wayne Lukas for the Churchill Downs Racing Club, has scored two seconds to start the 2019 campaign — the latest coming in the G3 Commonwealth Stakes at Keeneland. The colt was back in training at Churchill Downs this morning, working 4 furlongs in :51.20 — which was the 17th best time out of 22 to go that far. This one is a “Warrior,” for sure. Keeps going. Keeps trying. Keeps earning $. Pretty nice horse to own. Isn’t it, Churchill Downs Racing Club?
- Limonite, a 3YO son of Lemon Drop Kid, is coming off a 10th in the Louisiana Deryb for trainer Steve Asmussen. Before that, he was a closing 5th in the G2 Risen Star Stakes at the Fair Grounds, as well. He got his second published work since the LA Derby today at Churchill Downs. Went 5 furlongs in 1:01.40 — which was 5th of 17. Has the pedigree to test the grass soon. Next?
- Copper Town, a 5YO son of Speightstown and trained by Todd Pletcher, can certainly be awesome at times. In 7 career starts, he has 3 wins and 2 seconds. Last October, he came off an extended layup to power out a performance that awed in an allowance event. Last time out, in the second start this year, he was second in the G3 Hal’s Ope Stakes at Gulfstream Park. This morning, he was back in training at Keeneland. Went an easy half mile in :52.60 — which was 16th best out of the 16 to go. Next out?
- Rayana, a 3YO filly by Scat Daddy and trained by Bob Baffert, worked at Los Alamitos on Monday morning. This one, who won on debut at Del Mar last summer, has been working steadily for the return to racing. Got her 3rd published move since April 1 this morning, when she went a half mile in :48 flat. That was the bullet move out of 6 to go the distance. Watch for this Arkansas-bred to return. She has some lick.
- Message, a 3YO Warrior’s Reward filly that the connections paid a handsome $300,000 to purchase at the OBS April Sale a year ago, worked this morning at Los Alamitos for Team Baffert, as well. This one went 5 furlongs in 1:00.40 — which was the 2nd fastest time out of 3 to make the distance. This one has not been out since last summer at Del Mar, but today was her 7th published work since March 1. Looks ready.
- Catalina Cruiser, who looked unbeatable until he ran a disappointing 6th in the G1 Breeders’ Cup Dirt Mile at Churchill Downs last November, is working his way back to you. He worked at Santa Anita this morning, going a half mile in :49.20. That was 16th fastest out of 37 to go the distance. It was only his second published work since returning to training on April 9. Still aways to go here, but a rare talent.
- Core Beliefs, winner of the G2 New Orleans Handicap in his last outing, is back home in California these days and he worked this morning for trainer Peter Eurton. Went 5 furlongs at Santa Anita in 1:01.60 — which was 6th best out of 39 to go the distance. This 4YO son of Quality Road could be sitting on a huge 2019.