(Mike Maker trains Henley’s Joy, who has been entered for the G2 Risen Star Stakes on Saturday / Photo Courtesy of Churchill Downs)
Every day, we scour the work tabs at racetracks all over the country. We are looking for workouts that may be of interest and helpful to you — as both race fans and handicappers. Some of the horses we will be tracking, you will know. Some of them, you may not know — as of yet. We will keep a keen eye and stopwatch to see who may be working well:
- Fast and Accurate, a 5YO son of Hansen, is coming off a nice allowance/optional claimer at the Fair Grounds on Jan. 26. Trained by Mike Maker, this one now has a 6-3-3 record in 20 lifetime starts and won the Alphabet Soup Stakes at Parx on Sept. 22. Worked this morning at the Fair Grounds, going a half mile in :48 flat. This Pennsylvania-bred should be ready to wheel right back soon.
- Street Band, a 3YO Istan filly trained by J. Larry Jones, will run next in the G2 Rachel Alexandra Stakes at the Fair Grounds this coming Saturday. She tuned up for that huge event this morning in New Orleans, going 5 furlongs in 1:01 flat. That was the bullet move out of 8 to go the distance. In six previous starts, this one has a couple of wins and two thirds. Will be a huge ask coming on Saturday, what with the class jump.
- Strike Power, a 4YO Speightstown colt who won the G3 Swale Stakes a year ago and then ran second in the Fountain of Youth, is on the comeback trail for trainer Mark Hennig. This one was never better than fourth in the G3 Amsterdam Stakes at Saratoga after the FOY. Put on the shelf after a 9th in the Better Talk Now Stakes on Aug. 27. Got his second published since Jan. 29 workout this morning, going 3 furlongs in :36.56. That was the bullet move out of 7 to go the distance. Nice to see this one back. He has speed and guts.
- Mask, who set the world to talking when he won the Mucho Macho Man Stakes at Gulfstream Park in January of 2018, is coming back to the races, as well. He has not run since a disappointing fifth in an allowance event at Saratoga last August. He got his second published work since Feb. 4 this morning at the Palm Meadows training center in South Florida this morning for trainer Chad Brown. He went 3 furlongs in :37.74. That was the 6th best time out of 14. Would be nice to see this one return to the races with a flair.
- Significant Form, a Graded Stakes-winning daughter of Creative Cause and also trained by Chad Brown, worked this morning at Palm Meadows. In her first published workout since racing in November, Significant Form went 3 furlongs in :37.20. That was the bullet move out of the 14 to go the distance. As a 2YO in 2017, she won the G3 Miss Grillo Stakes at Belmont Park and then ran fourth in the Breeders’ Cup Juvenile Fillies Turf at Del Mar. In 8 career starts, she has a 2-1-0 record and has earned over $356,000.
- Henley’s Joy, a Graded Stakes-placed winning colt by Kitten’s Joy, has been entered for this Saturday’s G2 Risen Star Stakes at the Fair Grounds. Tuned up for the event by training over the dirt at Palm Meadows this morning. Went a half mile in :50 flat. That was the 17th best time out of 22 to go the distance. Will be interesting to see when trainer Mike Maker will ship this one to New Orleans. And, it will be interesting to see how this turf expert will take to the dirt. Interesting.