(By My Standards / Photos by Holly M. Smith)
Every day, we scour the work tabs at racetracks all over the country. We are looking for workouts that may be of interest and helpful to you — as both race fans and handicappers. Some of the horses we will be tracking, you will know. Some of them, you may not know — as of yet.
- By My Standards, a 5YO song of Goldencents and trained by W. Bret Calhoun, is back. Well, back in serious training. The multiple Graded Stakes winner — who has not been out since he was 8th in the G1 Breeders’ Cup Classic and 7th in the G1 Clark Stakes last fall — breezed 3 furlongs at the Fair Grounds this morning in his first major move since coming back to the track. He went the distance in :38.60, which was the 6th best time out of 6 to clock the distance. In 14 career starts to date, By My Standards — who won the G2 Alysheba Stakes at Churchill Downs last September — has a record of 6-4-1 and has earned over $1.8 million in purses. Welcome back, big guy.
- Long Weekend, a multiple Stakes winning son of Majesticperfection and trained by Tom Amoss, made his return to serious training today, as well. The 4YO colt — who has 4 wins, 1 second in 7 lifetime starts — breezed 3 furlongs in :37.80. That was the 3rd best time out of the 6 to clock the distance. The last time this one faced the starter was in August of 2020. Ran 5th in the G2 Amersterdam Stakes. Look for more out of this sprinter in 2021. Just wait.
- Silver Prospector, a 4YO son of Declaration of War and trained by Steve Asmussen, was back on the track at the Fair Grounds today, as well. He made the 2021 debut with a 5th place finish in the G3 Louisiana Stakes here. Got his 4th published work since then today with a 4 furlong breeze in :50.80. That was the 20th best time out of 35 to go that far. This guy won the G3 Southwest Stakes at Oaklawn Park about a year ago. Has only an allowance win at Churchill Downs last October since then. More to come.
- New Boss, a 3YO daughter of Street Boss and trained by W. Bret Calhoun, may be one worth watching (and wagering on) in the near future. This gal has a record of 2-2-0 in just 5 career starts, and is coming off a win at the Fair Grounds on Dec. 28. Breezed 5 furlongs this morning in 1:02 flat. That was 6th best of the 20. And, it was the 5th published work since the last race. Looks primed and ready. Take note.
- Freedom Fighter, a top contender for this year’s Triple Crown and trained by Team Baffert, worked at Santa Anita this morning. The 3YO son of Violence, who is coming off a very stout 2nd in the G2 San Vicente Stakes on Feb. 6, went an easy half-mile in :48.60. That was the 11th best time out of 66 to clock the distance. In two career starts to date, this one has a win and a second. Look to see where the HOFer spots this one next out. Could be very interesting.
- Gamine, a Champion sprinter from a year ago and another trained by Team Baffert, worked this morning at “The Great Race Place,” too. Travelled 4 furlongs in a leisurely :50.20. That was the 48th best time out of 66. It was just the filly’s 2nd published work since being returned to serious training here on Feb. 8. Will gear up. And, will let ‘er rip in 2021. In 6 career starts, this one has 4 wins. And, this daughter of Into Mischief has speed to burn. Already sitting on the verge of winning $1 million in purses.
- Life Is Good, maybe the No. 1 horse on this year’s “Road to the Kentucky Derby,” worked at Santa Anita today. The 3YO son of Into Mischief — who is a perfect 2-for-2 in the career and is coming off a win over Medina Spirit in the G3 Sham Stakes — worked 5 furlongs in 1:00.80. That was the 4th best time out of 33 to clock the distance. Be interesting to see where barn decides to go next. Options galore.