(Clairiere / Photos by Holly M. Smith)
We are back looking at the daily workout schedule from around the country. Every day (Some days?), we scour the work tabs at racetracks all over the country. We are looking for workouts that may be of interest and helpful to you — as both race fans and handicappers. Some of the horses we will be tracking, you will know. Some of them, you may not know — as of yet.
We are back…Take a look:
- Hush of a Storm, a 4YO NY-bred by Creative Cause and trained by Bill Morey, worked at Belmont Park this morning. This talented runner won the John Battaglia Memorial Stakes last year before running 7th in the G2 Blue Grass Stakes. Was off from April to October, but came back to register 3 thirds in a row. Went 3 furlongs over the dirt training track this morning in :37.55. That was the 9th best time out of 20 to clock the distance. Rooting for this one.
- Courvoisier, a 3YO son of Tapit and trained by Kelly Breen, worked at Belmont Park this morning, as well. This one jumped on the trail to this year’s KY Derby win a win in the Jerome Stakes at Aqueduct in early January. But may have fallen off the path with a recent and dull 7th in the G3 Withers Stakes. Back on the track this a.m, when he went a half-mile over the dirt training track. Covered the distance in :49.45. That was 15th best of 104 to go that far. Be interesting to see where this one shows up next. Contender? Pretender?
- Early Voting, a spectacular front-end winner of the G3 Withers Stakes for trainer Chad Brown, was back in action this morning in New York. Went 4 furlongs over the dirt training track in :49.46. That was the 16th best time. In two starts so far, he is a perfect 2-for-2. Won the Withers by nearly 5 lengths. Be interesting to see where this guy shows up next. Legit chance.
- Shotgun Hottie, a 3YO daughter of Gun Runner and another trained by Bill Morey, worked this morning in New York. This winner of the Ruthless Stakes at Aqueduct on Feb. 6 went 4 furlongs in :51.66 over the dirt training track. That was 84th best of the 104. First work since the win. Look for more out of this one soon. Rising star?
- Ferociously, a 3YO son for Violence and trained by Team Asmussen, worked this morning at the Fair Grounds in New Orleans. This one is worth keeping an eye on as he moves forward and through the progression of allowance an upcoming Stakes events. Has talent. Will travel. Went 4 furlongs in :50.40 this morning over the dirt track. That was 49th best of 63. In two starts to begin the career, has a win and a second now. More to come here.
- Clairiere, a 4YO daughter of Curlin and a G1 Stakes winner of the Cotillion Stakes last September, warmed up this morning for Team Amussen at the Fair Grounds. Went 5 furlongs in 1:01.60, which was 14th best of 33. This was the 4th published work since she was returned to serious training on Jan. 30. Last time we saw her, she was 4th in the G1 Breeders’ Cup Distaff behind longshot winner Marche Lorraine. More to come in 2022. Classy runner.
- Rockefeller, a 3YO son of Medaglia d’Oro and trained by the embattled Bob Baffert, may be another talented runner left at the KY Derby alter this Spring due to the ban on the conditioner. This one went 4 furlongs in :47 flat today at Santa Anita. That was the 2nd best time out of 43 to rip the distance. In 4 career starts, this one has a 2-1-0 record and was 2nd to Newgrange in the G2 Sham Stakes last time out. Be interesting to see if the connections like the idea of running in the Preakness Stakes.
- Edgeway, a 5YO daughter of Competitive Edge and trained by John Sadler, worked this morning at “The Great Race Place,” too. This Graded Stakes winner — who was 2nd to Ce Ce in the Breeders’ Cup Filly & Mare Sprint just last November — went 5 furlongs over the main dirt track in 1:00.40. That was 9th best of the 61. More to come here.
- Express Train, a multiple Graded Stakes winner for the barn of John Shirreffs, worked this morning at Santa Anita. This cat, who just won the G2 San Pasqual Stakes last time out on Feb. 5, went 5 furlongs in :59.20. That was the bullet move out of the 61 to work. In 16 lifetime starts now, this one has a record of 6-4-3 and is on the cusp of becoming a millionaire. Stay tuned.
- Under the Stars, a 3Yo daughter of Pioneerof the Nile and trained by Baffert, is likely to miss this year’s KY Oaks, too, if things don’t dramatically change. The winner of the G2 Santa Ynez Stakes last time out went 5 furlongs today in :59.20. That was the bullet time out of the 61, as well. Talent here.
- Soothsay, winner of the G3 Indiana Oaks in her last start for trainer Richard Mandella, worked this morning at Santa Anita, too. This ultra-talented daughter of Distorted Humor went 7 furlongs in 1:25.80. She was the only one to clock a time at the distance. In 4 career starts, she has 3 wins and a second. Looks ready. Aim. Fire.