(Steve Asmussen / Photo by Holly M. Smith)
(Life Is Good / Benoit Photo & Courtesy of Santa Anita)
Every day, we scour the work tabs at racetracks all over the country. We are looking for workouts that may be of interest and helpful to you — as both race fans and handicappers. Some of the horses we will be tracking, you will know. Some of them, you may not know — as of yet.
- Midnight Bourbon, a 3YO son of Tiznow and trained by Steve Asmussen, is entered for Saturday’s G2 Risen Star Stakes at the Fair Grounds. Blew out an easy 1/2-mile this morning in New Orleans, going the distance in :50.40. That was the 26th best time out of 43 to clock the distance. In his last start, Midnight Bourbon won the G3 Lecomte Stakes over the same track, going gate to wire. Flashed plenty of speed that day with new rider Joe Talamo subbing for Ricardo Santana, Jr. This guy cost $525,000 at the 2019 KEE September Yearling Sale. Stay tuned.
- Finite, a 4YO daughter of Munnings and another trained by Team Asmussen, worked at the Fair Grounds this morning, too. The Multiple Graded Stakes winner, who ran 4th in the G1 La Brea Stakes at Santa Anita in her last start, went 5 furlongs in 1:00.80. That was the bullet move out of 18 to go that far. In 12 lifetime starts, this filly has an impressive record of 6 wins and 3 seconds. Two starts ago, she won the G3 Chilukki Stakes at Churchill Downs. At the Fair Grounds, she has won the G2 Rachel Alexandra Stakes and the Silverbulletday Stakes. More to come.
- Jackie’s Warrior, a 3YO son of Maclean’s Music and also trained by Asmussen, was on the track at the Fair Grounds this morning. Went 5 furlongs in 1:00.80. That was tied with Finite for the best move of the day. This one is not entered for Saturday’s Risen Star, but got his 7th published work since being returned to serious training on Dec. 29. Ready. Next race should be coming soon. In 5 lifetime races, to date, he has 4 wins. Only loss? Last year in the Breeders’ Cup Juvenile, when he ran 4th behind Elusive Quality.
- Keepmeinmind, a top 3YO contender for this year’s Triple Crown Trail for trainer Robertson Diodoro, worked in Hot Springs this morning. The son of Laoban went an easy half-mile in :49.60. That was the 13th best time out of 23 to go the distance. Right now, the colt is entered for Saturday’s G2 Risen Star Stakes at the Fair Grounds. It would mark the 2021 debut for the colt, who won the G2 Kentucky Jockey Club Stakes last November. In 4 career starts, this one has a win, two seconds and a third. He was 2nd in the G1 Breeders’ Futurity and 3rd in the G1 Breeders’ Cup Juvenile — both at KEE last Fall. Don’t know if this one will make the gate on Saturday or be held for another Stakes event at Oaklawn Park. But this one is ready. Time to rock.
- Gamine, a 4YO daughter of Into Mischief and a filly who recently had her 3rd place finish in the 2020 Kentucky Oaks disqualified for a positive drug test, worked at Santa Anita this morning for trainer Bob Baffert. The talented and mucho speedy gal went 3 furlongs in :37.40. That was the 21st best time out of 24 to go the distance. It was her first published work since her impressive win in the G1 Breeders’ Cup Filly & Mare Sprint at KEE last November. In 6 lifetime starts, she has 4 wins and a third. She is still aways away, but good to have her back on the track. More to come.
- Life Is Good, a 3YO son of Into Mischief and without a doubt a major contender for this year’s Kentucky Derby for Team Baffert, worked this morning at Santa Anita. The undefeated colt — who just impressed in the G3 Sham Sakes and is a perfect 2-for-2 now — went 6 furlongs in 1:12 flat. That was the bullet move out of 9 to clock the distance. This one is on the road. How fast can he get there? Connections paid $525,000 for this one at the 2019 KEE September Yearling Sale. Looks like a bargain price now.