(Finite / Photo by Holly M. Smith)
Every day, we scour the work tabs at racetracks all over the country. We are looking for workouts that may be of interest and helpful to you — as both race fans and handicappers. Some of the horses we will be tracking, you will know. Some of them, you may not know — as of yet.
- Lady Apple, a 5YO daughter of Curlin and trained by Steve Asmussen, worked at the Fair Grounds this morning. The multiple Graded Stakes winner — who is entered in the G3 Houston Ladies Classic Stakes on Jan. 31 — breezed an easy half mile in :50.40. That was the 39th fastest time out of 63 to clock the distance. Last time out, Lady Apple ran 3rd in the Joseph E. Spanky Broussard Memorial Stakes in New Orleans on Dec. 26. This was her 4th published work since then. Lady Apple is returning to Sam Houston for the first time since she won this same race a year ago. It was her last win.
- Midnight Bourbon, a 3YO son of Tiznow and another from the barn of HOF trainer Asmussen, worked an easy half in :51 flat this morning over the Fair Grounds’ dirt track. That was the 50th best time out of 63 to go that far. It was the colt’s first serious breeze since he won the G3 Lecomte Stakes here in gate-to-wire fashion on Jan. 16. Impressive that day. Looking for more.
- Silver Prospector, a 4YO son of Declaration of War and yet another trained by Team Asmussen, worked an easy half mile in :51.80 today. That was the 58th best time out of the 63. Last time out, this silver fox ran 5th in the G3 Louisiana Stakes. It was his first start of 2021 and just the third race since he was 7th in the G1 Arkansas Derby a year ago. Lost by only 4 lengths in the Louisiana Stakes, and the rider lost the whip in the race. Maybe improvement to be seen soon.
- Winter Sunset, a beautiful gray daughter of Tapit and a multiple Graded Stakes Placed winner for trainer Wayne Catalano, is back on the work tab. Hurray. This gal, who ran only once in 2020 and was 6th in an allowance at Keeneland in October, breezed a half mile at the Fair Grounds in :51.40. That was the 55th best time. This lady’s last win game in the Indiana Grand Stakes in 2019. Let’s hope she can return to her former self. She is bred to run.
- Finite, a multiple Graded Stakes winning mare by Munnings and trained by Asmussen, worked 5 furlongs over the main track at the Fair Grounds today. The filly went the distance in 1:02.20. That was the 17th best time out of 29 to go the route. It was her third published work since running 4th in the G1 La Brea Stakes at Santa Anita on Dec. 26. This gal is one talented runner, when she is right. And, she looks like she is getting right again.
- Jackie’s Warrior, a 3YO son of Maclean’s Music and one of the best 2YOs in the country a year ago, breezed at the Fair Grounds this morning in prep for the 2021 debut. Went 5 furlongs in 1:01.80 — which was the 12th best time out of 29. It was the 5th published work since this colt was returned to serious training the end of December. Last time out, he was 4th in the Breeders’ Cup Juvenile. More to come.
- Maxfield, the undefeated and multiple Graded Stakes winning son of Street Sense, worked this morning at the Fair Grounds for trainer Brendan Walsh. The Godolphin Stable’s homebred went 5 furlongs in 1:01 flat. That was the 7th best time out of 29. Last time out, this guy won the Tenacious Stakes in New Orleans on Dec. 19. Won that one by an easy 21/2 lengths. Here is one talented runner.
- Combatant, a 6YO son of Scat Daddy and a Graded Stakes winner for trainer John Sadler, worked at Oaklawn Park this morning. Went 5 furlongs in 1:00.80 — which was 4th best of 6 to test the distance. Last time out, this ridgling was 3rd in the G3 Native Diver Stakes at Santa Anita on Nov. 21. Today’s work was his 7th published move since early December. Should be ready to test the ponies in the afternoon very soon.
- Sweet Melania, a 4YO daughter of American Pharoah and trained by Todd Pletcher, worked at the Palm Beach Downs training center in South Florida this morning. this multiple Graded Stakes winner went an easy 3 furlongs in :37.92. That was the 2nd best time out of 4 to clock the distance. It was her first published move since running 7th in the G1 QE II Challenge Cup at Keeneland last October. Last win came in the G3 Wonder Again Statkes at Belmont last June. Stay tuned.