(Gamine / Photo by Holly M. Smith)
(Firenze Fire / Photo by Holly M. Smith)
(O Besos / Photo by Holly M. Smith)
(Nearly?) Every day (Some days?), we scour the work tabs at racetracks all over the country. We are looking for workouts that may be of interest and helpful to you — as both race fans and handicappers. Some of the horses we will be tracking, you will know. Some of them, you may not know — as of yet.
We are back…Take a look:
- Firenze Fire, a 6YO son of Poseidon’s Warrior and a Florida-bred trained by Kelly Breen, worked this morning at Belmont Park. This multiple Graded Stakes-winner is coming off an impressive two-race win streak in the G3 Runhappy Stakes and the G2 True North Stakes at Belmont Park. After all, this is a place the horse loves. Last four starts at Belmont? Has four wins. All in Graded Stakes. Worked today over the dirt training track. Went 5 furlongs in 1:02.55, in a pure maintenance time. That was 5th best of 7. After 33 races now, Firenze Fire has a record of 14-4-3 and has nearly nearly $2.5 million in purses.
- The Reds, a 3YO son of Tonalist and a winner of 2 of 8 races to date for trainer John Kimmel, tuned up for the G3 Ohio Derby to be run this coming weekend at Thistledown. Went an easy half mile over the Belmont Park dirt training track in :51.56. that was the 22nd best time out of 24. Last time out, this one ran 2nd in the G3 Pennine Ridge Stakes at Belmont Park. Was beaten just a length by the heavily-favored Sainthood. Came from off the pace in that 11/8-mile test. In the race before, The Reds won the Federico Tesio Stakes at Pimlico. Was moved up in that event after the DQ of the winner Excellorator. On Saturday, The Reds has drawn the #7 post position. The field will include the likes of Promise Keeper, Hozier, King Fury, Keepmeinmind, and others. Good field. Good test. Interesting race. To be sure.
- Frank’s Rockette, a multiple Graded Stakes winner for trainer Bill Mott, breezed this morning at Churchill Downs. This 4YO daughter of Into Mischief covered 4 furlongs in a steady :49.80. That was the 13th best time out of 25 to clock the distance. In 14 career starts, this one has a record of 7-5-1 and has earned nearly 3/4ths of a cool $1 million in purses. Over the last three outings, this one has won the American Beauty Stakes and run 2nd in the Carousel Stakes at Oaklawn Park and run third to Sconsin in the G3 Winning Colors at Churchill Downs. This one looks poised for the next outing, after skipping the rematch with Sconsin in this weekend’s Roxelana Stakes. Next?
- O Besos, the talented 3YO son of Orb and trained by Greg Foley, stretched his legs at Churchill Downs this morning. Went an easy half-mile in :49.40. That was the 12th best time out of the 25 to go that far. Last time out, this one tired in the stretch to run 2nd to Fulsome in the G3 Matt Winn Stakes at Churchill Downs. Still, this one defeated the likes of Helium in that affair. Should be ready for the next try soon. Watch out.
- Red Run, the precocious 2YO son and first winner for the sire Gun Runner, was back on the main Churchill Downs track this morning. Got his 5th published work since his first race and win here on May 9. Went 4 furlongs in a maintenance move time of :51.20. That was the 22nd best time out of the 25. Should be ready for the close of the meet and a possible trip to Saratoga for the summer time fun. Look out. Talent here.
- Field Pass, a 4YO son of Lemon Drop Kid and trained by Mike Maker, worked at the Churchill Downs’ Training Center at Derby City Gaming this morning. This one — who has a record of 6-2-3 in 18 starts and has earned nearly $600,000 in purses — went 4 furlongs in :49.40. That was the 5th best time out of 7 to go that distance. Field Pass has not won since capturing the G3 Ontario Derby last November at Woodbine. Since? Two fourths and an 8th in the G1 Man o’ War Stakes at Belmont Park. Two G1 events in the last two outings. Maybe a touch easier next time?
- His Glory, a 4YO daughter of Mineshaft and trained by Joe Sharp, was just that on Monday morn. Sharp. Very sharp. The filly — who ran 5th in the Memorial Day Sprint at Lone Star Park last time out — went 4 furlongs at Keeneland this morning. Covered the distance in :46.60. That was the bullet move out of 51 to go that far today. Wow time. Two races ago, this one won an allowance at KEE. Looks ready for a next try.
- Red Ghost, a 3YO daughter of Ghostzapper and trained by Wesley Ward, worked this morning at Keeneland, too. Went 5 furlongs over the main dirt track in a time of 1:00.40. That was the 3rd best time out of 12 to clock the distance. In 4 career starts to date, this one has 3 wins. Is a perfect 2-for-2 this year. Last time out, this one won the G3 Miss Preakness Stakes at Pimlico. Look for this one to make an outing soon. Graded Stakes winner by Ghostzapper? Sitting on pretty.
- Collusion Illusion, a 4YO son of Twirling Candy and trained by Mark Glatt, worked this morning at Santa Anita, which just ended its’ Spring / Summer meet on Sunday. This one — who ran third to the impressive Charlatan in the G1 Malibu Stakes in his last start on Dec. 26, 2020 — worked an easy half-mile this morning. Went the distance in :49.80, which was the 39th best time out of the 64 to go that far. This was just the third work since being returned to serious training on June 7. Look for this one to get a few more serious time checks in the a.m. before going postward in the afternoons. But when he does? Stay tuned.
- Gamine, a Champion and multiple Graded Stakes winner for the embattled trainer Bob Baffert, worked this morning at Santa Anita. The 4YO daughter of Into Mischief went 5 furlongs in a brisk 1:00.60. That was the 5th best time out of 26 to go that far. Last time out, Gamine won the G1 Derby City Distaff on KY Derby Day. It was her third Graded Stakes win in a row. Today was her 5th published work since that win. Looks primed.