(Dale Romans will saddle Everfast in this Saturday’s Belmont Stakes / Photo Courtesy of Churchill Downs)
Every day, we scour the work tabs at racetracks all over the country. We are looking for workouts that may be of interest and helpful to you — as both race fans and handicappers. Some of the horses we will be tracking, you will know. Some of them, you may not know — as of yet. We will keep a keen eye and stopwatch to see who may be working well:
- Nitrous, a 3YO son of Tapit and trained by Steve Asmussen for the Winchell Thoroughbreds and Stonestreet Stables, worked at Belmont Park this morning. The colt — who won the Bachelor Stakes at Oaklawn Park in his last outing on April 27 and now has a 3-1-1 mark in 8 career starts — went an easy half mile in :50.47. That was the 9th fastest time out of 12 to go that far early in the proceedings. Be interesting if the connections spot him in one of the Stakes events on Saturday. Has ability. And, speed.
- Laughing Fox, a 3YO son of Union Rags and also trained by Asmussen, is coming off a 5th place finish as the “hot tout” in the Preakness Stakes. Before that event, Laughing Fox won the Oaklawn Invitational Stakes in Hot Springs to earn an automatic berth in the Preakness. He was 4th in the Arkansas Derby to Omaha Beach before that. Worked at Churchill Downs this morning. Went an easy half mile in :51.40. That was 21st best out of 28 to go that distance today. Bears watching to see where he is pointed next. Shall be interesting.
- Much Better, a 3YO son of Pioneerof the Nile and trained by Team Baffert, worked at Churchill Downs this a.m., as well. The colt breezed 4 furlongs in :47.60 — which was the 2nd fastest time out of the 28. Looked good doing it, too. Easy. Alert. Sharp. Coming off a 4th in the Gold Fever Stakes at Belmont Park on May 12. Was 2nd in the G3 Bay Shore at Aqueduct on April 6 before that. What’s next?
- Everfast, runner-up to War of Will in the Preakness Stakes last time out for trainer Dale Romans, blew out for this Saturday’s Belmont Stakes at Churchill Downs this morning. The 3YO son of Take Charge Indy went 5 furlongs in 1:01 flat. That was 7th best of 16. Easy breeze for the Calumet Farm colt. Looks ready. Has only 1 win in 11 starts this year, but has earned over $464,000. In addition to the second in the Preakness Stakes, he was a huge second in the G2 Holy Bull Stakes at Gulfstream Park back in February. Can show up at a price.
- Limonite, a 3YO son of Lemon Drop Kid and trained by Asmussen, is coming off a nice allowance win at Churchill Downs on May 4. That was on the heels of a 10th place finish to By My Standards in the G2 Louisiana Derby. Looks to have righted the ship in the last outing. Worked at Churchill Downs this morning. Went 5 furlongs in 1:01.60. that was 8th best of the 16. Be interesting where this one goes next. Back to Stakes company?