(Gamine winning the Breeders’ Cup Filly Sprint / Coady Photography)
Every day, we scour the work tabs at racetracks all over the country. We are looking for workouts that may be of interest and helpful to you — as both race fans and handicappers. Some of the horses we will be tracking, you will know. Some of them, you may not know — as of yet.
- Alejandro, a 3YO son of Curlin and a homebred for Stonestreet Stables, may be an interesting one to watch going forward. This colt, trained by HOFer Steve Asmussen, has raced only 3 times to date. Has a 2nd and two 4ths on the resume. But? He was 2nd to Caddo River two starts ago and stumbled badly at the break in his last effort. Look for more next time out. He worked this morning at the Fair Grounds in New Orleans. Went 5 furlongs in 1:01.40. That was the 16th best time out of 21. May be time to cash the ticket soon.
- Clairiere, a 3YO filly by Curlin and other homebred for Stonestreet, worked at the Fair Grounds this morning, too. The Asmussen-trainee — who is coming off a huge win in the G2 Rachel Alexandra Stakes last time out — went 5 furlongs in 1:00.60. That was the 6th best time out of the 21 to go the distance. In 3 career starts now, this one has a two wins and a 2nd. The runner-up came in the G2 Golden Rod last November at Churchill Downs. Was 2nd by a length to Travel Column in that one. More to come from this gal.
- Midnight Bourbon, a 3YO son of Tiznow and another from Team Asmussen, worked this morning at the Fair Grounds. Went 5 furlongs in a nice 1:00.60. That was the same clocking as the filly above. Two starts ago, this one went gate-to-wire to win the G3 Lecomte Stakes here. Last time out, he was 3rd in the G2 Risen Star. Next outing should be the G2 Louisiana Derby. In 6 career starts so far — 4 of which are Graded Stakes events — this one has a 2-1-3 record. Nice. Very nice.
- Duopoly, a 4YO daughter of Animal Kingdom and trained by Chad Brown, is coming off an impressive win in the G1 American Oaks at Santa Anita on Dec. 26. In 6 lifetime starts now, this speedy sort has 4 wins on the credit line. She got her 2nd published workout since being returned to serious training on Feb. 22. Went 3 furlongs in :37.40. That was the bullet move out of 6 to travel the distance over the dirt track at Payson Park this morning. Stay tuned.
- Extra Hope, a 5YO son of Shanghai Bobby and trained by Richard Mandella, was brilliant in his morning move at Santa Anita this morning. The horse went 3 furlongs in :35 flat. That was the bullet move out of the 14 to go the distance over the main dirt track. Two starts ago, this one won the G3 Native Diver Stakes at Del Mar. Finished the 2020 campaign with a disappointing 6th in the G2 San Antonio Stakes at Santa Anita. Been off since then, but today’s work was the 7th published move since Jan. 10. In 15 career starts so far, this one has a record of 4-2-3. Looks about ready for the 2021 debut.
- Gamine, the 2020 Champion 3YO filly sprinter for Team Baffert, worked this morning at Santa Anita, as well. The 4YO daughter of Into Mischief ripped off a half-mile over the main dirt track in a time of :47.40. That was the 4th best out of 66 to go the distance. In 6 career starts to date, she has been in front at the wire 5 times. Be fun to see this one back in action soon. Today’s move was her 4th published work since being returned to serious training on Feb. 8. She’s coming back.