(Chasing Time / Photos by Holly M. Smith)
We are back looking at the daily workout schedule from around the country. Every day (Some days?), we scour the work tabs at racetracks all over the country. We are looking for workouts that may be of interest and helpful to you — as both race fans and handicappers. Some of the horses we will be tracking, you will know. Some of them, you may not know — as of yet.
We are back…Take a look:
- Morello, an undefeated son of Classic Empire and trainer by HOFer Steve Asmussen, got in another serious work in preparation for the G2 Wood Memorial on April 9. The 3YO colt breezed 5 furlongs over the dirt training track at Belmont Park in a time of 1:01.60. That was the bullet move out of 4 to go the distance. Last time out, this one — who cost $250,000 to buy at a 2YO In-Training Sale last year — won the G3 Gotham Stakes at Aqueduct on March 5. A month before, Morello won the Jimmy Winkfield Stakes over the same dirt track. Broke the MSW in the career debut at the “Big A” last November. Colt beat Dean’s List, another highly 3YO, in the Gotham by over 41/2 lengths. Look for this one to be mighty tough in the Wood.
- Cazadero, a 4YO son of Street Sense and another trained by Team Amussen, worked this morning at the Fair Grounds in New Orleans. Track finished up its’ mammoth race meet on Sunday, but this one toured the facility’s track this morning. Went 4 furlongs in :50.20. That was the 3rd best time out of 7 to go the distance. In the career so far, this one has 3 wins and 2 seconds in just 8 career starts. Last time out was Jan. 14. Ran disappointing 6th that day. Time for a reset, which has been happening. Watch and wager for the next time out.
- American Xperiment, a 3YO son of 2016 KY Derby winner Nyquist and a Graded Stakes-placed winner in his own right, worked at the Fair Grounds this a.m. Went 5 furlongs in 1:02 flat. That was 4th best of the 5. This guy ran 3rd in the G1 Runhappy Del Mar Futurity last September and has returned to run 2nd and 6th in two races since. Was 6th in the Mine That Bird Stakes at Sunland Park last time out in February. Another trained by Team Asmussen.
- Chasing Time, a 3YO son of Not This Time and another getting tutoring lessons in the barn of Asmussen, worked this morning in Hot Springs, AR., at the home of Oaklawn Park. This March foal just turned 3YO, by the calendar month, and will run next in Saturday’s G1 Arkansas Derby. Went from an allowance win in mid-January to a disappointing 5th in the G2 Rebel Stakes on Feb. 26 in the last afternoon appearance. Went 4 furlongs this morning in :51.20. That was purely a maintenance move, and was the 18th best time out of 23 to clock the distance. Myracehorse.com paid $250,000 at the OBS April Sale in 2021. Look out. Has speed. And, will travel.
- Stellar Tap, a 3YO son of Tapit who broke is maiden in his first race of his career, worked at Oaklawn Park this morning, as well. This one breezed 4 furlongs over the main dirt track in a time of :49.40. That was the 8th best time out of 23 to clock the distance. Winchell Thoroughbreds — owned by Ron Winchell — knows a good horse when they buy one. Purchased this one for $250,000. Since his inaugural run and win, this guy has been searching — long and hard. Ran 5th in the G3 Iroquois Stakes in the 2nd career start and then was 7th in the G1 Claiborne Breeders ‘ Futurity. Did run 3rd recently at the Fair Grounds against allowance company, but, no matter what, he is still milking a 4 race losing streak. Stay tuned in. Stay calm. More to come.
- Plum Ali, a 4YO daughter of First Samurai and trained by Christophe Clement, worked at Payson Park this morning. The April foal is coming off a win in the Winter Memories Stakes at Aqueduct last November. Before that, was 5th in two straight Stakes, including the G2 Sands Point at Belmont Park last October. Went 4 furlongs this a.m. in :50.60. That was the 9th best time out of the 13 to travel the main dirt track. More to come. Right?