(Ny Traffic / Coady Photography)
(Nearly?) Every day (Some days?), we scour the work tabs at racetracks all over the country. We are looking for workouts that may be of interest and helpful to you — as both race fans and handicappers. Some of the horses we will be tracking, you will know. Some of them, you may not know — as of yet.
- Tonalist Shape, a multiple Graded Stakes winner by Tonalist and trained by Saffie Joseph, Jr., worked this morning at Gulfstream Park. This brilliantly-fast 4YO won the first 5 starts of her career before running into a wall in the G2 Gulfstream Park Oaks last March. Came back to win Stakes at Gulfstream, but finished the year with three straight off-the-board runs in Graded events. Has not been out since her 5th in the G2 Raven Run at KEE last October. Got her first breeze back today. Went 3 furlongs at Gulfstream Park in :37.13. That was the 8th best of 16 to go the distance. Welcome back.
- Mischevious Alex, a 4YO son of Into Mischief and another trained by Joseph, worked this morning at Gulfstream Park, as well. This multiple Graded Stakes winer has started off the 2021 season with a bang. After winning an allowance on Jan. 10, he wheeled right back to capture the G3 Gulfstream Park Sprint on Feb. 13. In 11 career starts now, this one has a record of 6-1-1. Went 4 furlongs in :48.55 this morning. That was 8th best of 30. Next.
- Ny Traffic, a 4YO son of Cross Traffic and another multiple Graded Stakes winner for Joseph, worked this morning at Gulfstream Park, too. This one went 5 furlongs in 1:00.53 — which was the bullet move out of 14 to clock the distance. This guy — who ran 2nd in both the G2 Risen Star Stakes and the G2 Louisiana Derby a year ago — has not started since running 9th in the G1 Preakness Stakes last October. (Yeah. October. Ugh.) Got his 8th published work today since being returned to serious training in South Florida on Jan. 10. Looks close. Very close.
- Smiley Sobotka, a 3YO son of Brody’s Cause and an Ontario-bred trained by Dale Romans, worked for the third time since his disappointing run in the G3 Sam F. Davis Stakes at Tampa Bay Downs on Feb. 6. This runner-up in the G2 Kentucky Jockey Club Stakes at Churchill Downs last November returned to run 9th in the Sam F. Davis to make the 2021 debut. Worked this morning at Gulfstream Park. Went 5 furlongs in 1:01.46. That was the 6th best time out of 14. In his other three career races, this one has a win and two seconds. Can toss the effort at Tampa. But needs a big one to stay on this year’s “Road to the Kentucky Derby.” What’s next?
- Parnelli, a 3YO son of Quality Road and trained by John Shirreffs, worked this morning at Santa Anita. This guy — who ran a distant 3rd in the Sham Stakes behind Life Is Good and then ran a tiring 5th in the G3 Robert B. Lewis Stakes behind Medina Spirit — went 5 furlongs in 1:01.20. That was the 9th best time out of 17 to go the distance. This one broke his maiden at Del Mar last November. Beat a horse by the name of Editor in Chief, who used to be in the barn of Bob Baffert but now resides at Turfway Park. Hmmm.