(Champagne Anyone trains before the KY Oaks this year / Photo by Holly M. Smith)
Every day, we scour the work tabs at racetracks all over the country. We are looking for workouts that may be of interest and helpful to you — as both race fans and handicappers. Some of the horses we will be tracking, you will know. Some of them, you may not know — as of yet. We will keep a keen eye and stopwatch to see who may be working well:
- Seven Trumpets, a 4YO Morning Line colt who went on a real tear last Summer for trainer Dale Romans, got his first published workout this morning at Churchill Downs since he ran 14th in the G1 Malibu Stakes at Santa Anita on Dec. 26, 2018. The colt went 3 furlongs in an easy :37.60, which was the 4th best time out of 10 to go that far. This guy has 3 wins, 3 seconds and a third in 13 career starts — but is most known for his seconds in both the G3 Dwyer Stakes and the G1 H. Allen Jerkens at Saratoga. Look for more from this one a bit later this year.
- Champagne Anyone, a super talented 3YO filly by Street Sense and trained by Ian Wilkes, worked this morning at Churchill Downs. This filly is coming off a fourth place finish in the G1 KY Oaks, and got her first serious work since that event this morning. She went a nice half mile in :49.80 — which was the 20th best time out of 36 to go the distance. In 8 career starts to date, she has 3 wins and 3 thirds. One of the wins came in the G2 Gulfstream Park Oaks. More fun to come from this one. Keep an eye out.
- Marley’s Freedom, a super talented 5YO Blame filly trained by Bob Baffert, is still in Kentucky and Churchill Downs. The mare, who has won over $1.1 million in her career to date, is coming off a second place finish in the G1 Humana Distaff on KY Oaks Day. In three starts this year, she has a win in the G2 Santa Monica Stakes and a second in the G1 Beholder Mile. She breezed for the first time since the Humana today, going a half mile in a brisk :47.80. That was the 2nd fastest time out of the 36. Watch for her to roll right back soon.
- Midnight Bisou, perhaps the best older filly in training today, worked this morning at Churchill Downs for trainer Steve Asmussen. The 4YO Midnight Lute filly breezed 5 furlongs in 1:02 flat — which was the 16th best time out of 28 to go that far. The filly is undefeated in 3 starts this year, with the last win coming in the G1 Apple Blossom Stakes at Oaklawn Park on April 14. In 14 career starts now, she has a record of 8-3-3 and has earned over $2.4 million. Looks ready for the next appointed round in the afternoon.
- Mitole, perhaps the fastest horse in training today, worked this morning at Churchill Downs, as well. The 4YO son of Eskendereya went 5 furlongs in an easy 1:01.40. That was the 10th best time out of the 28. This guy is undefeated in 3 starts this year, too, and is coming off an impressive win in the Churchill Downs Stakes on KY Oaks Day. In 10 lifetime starts, he has 7 wins, 2 seconds and 1 third. Can’t get much better than that. Ready to rock and roll soon.
- Quip, a 4YO son of Distorted Humor and trained by Rodolphe Brisset, worked at Keeneland this morning. The colt — who won the G2 Oaklawn Handicap in his last start and just his second start since running in the 2018 Preakness Stakes — worked 5 furlongs in 1:02.20. That was 4th best out of 5 to go that distance. Be fun to see this one reach the pinnacle this year. Has the talent. Needs the luck.