(Go Google Yourself at Ellis Park / Photo by Holly M. Smith)
Every day, we scour the work tabs at racetracks all over the country. We are looking for workouts that may be of interest and helpful to you — as both race fans and handicappers. Some of the horses we will be tracking, you will know. Some of them, you may not know — as of yet.
- Shandling, a 3YO gelded son of Distorted Humor and trained by Phil D’Amato, worked at Del Mar early this morning. This one made his career debut at Santa Anita on Oct. 13. Ran a nice second that day. He was shuffled all the way to last at the start and came running with a mission at the end of the 5.5-furlong event over the grass. Not much time to make up that much ground. Watch the replay if you get the chance. Returned for his second published work since the race this morning. Went a nice half mile in :47.80. that was the 2nd fastest time out of the first 11 to clock the distance. Watch for this one. Could develop.
- Confidently, a 3YO daughter of War Front and trained by Tom Proctor for the Glen Hill Farm, worked this morning at Fair Hill. This one is an interesting story. Was consigned to the 2016 KEE November Breeding Stock Sale by Hill ‘n’ Dale Sales Agency. Was RNA’d for a whopping $1.25 million. In addition to dad’s sire power, the mom — by Arch — was Stakes placed at Ellis Park. Ends up in the hands of Glen Hill and Proctor, one of the best trainers in the business. Took 7 starts to break the maiden, which she did on Aug. 22 at Presque Isle. Came back to run 8th in an allowance at Laurel Park. Worked this a.m. at Fair Hill, going a half mile in :49.40. That was 4th best of 4. Can you say “broodmare prospect?”
- Hallawallah, a 3YO daughter of Candy Ride and trained by Steve Asmussen, trained at Churchill Downs this morning. This gal, who ran 7th behind Street Band in this year’s G3 Indiana Oaks, went 3 furlongs in :39.60, in a pure maintenance move. She ran 2nd in an allowance at KEE on Oct. 6. Look for more out of this one. Has some run to her.
- Banks Island, a talented 2YO son of Tapit and trained by Brendan Walsh for the Godolphin Stables, worked this morn under the Twin Spires. This one, who has 2 seconds in the first 4 career starts, went a nice half mile in :48.60. That was 15th best of the 99 to time the distance. Two starts ago, this one ran second to Necker Island, a very nice one for trainer Stanley Hough. Three starts ago, Banks Island was second to Something Super, who hails from the barn of Steve Asmussen. Look for this one to make the winner’s circle soon.
- Divine Queen, a 4YO daughter of Divine Park and trained by Buff Bradley, worked this morning at Churchill Downs, as well. The Multiple Stakes Winner went a half mile in :48.60, too. Divine Queen is coming off a disappointing 6th in the G3 Chilukki Stakes here on Nov. 2. Before that, though, she won the Open Mind Stakes under the Twin Spires and also was second in the Groupie Doll Sakes at Ellis Park. She has 6 wins in her 18 career starts and has earned over $325,000. But if it rains? She splashes with the best of them.
- Go Google Yourself, a 4YO daughter of Into Mischief and trained by Paul McGee, worked at Churchill Downs this morning. This gal — who won the G3 Locust Grove and the Groupie Doll in her last 2 starts and is now 6-4-3 in 17 lifetime starts — went 6 furlongs in 1:14 flat. That was the bullet move. That was the only move at the distance. This is a good one. Watch her next. Could put her over $500,000 in career earnings.