(Sally’s Curlin after wining the G3 Chilukki Stakes at Churchill Downs / Photo by Holly M. Smith)
Every day, we scour the work tabs at racetracks all over the country. We are looking for workouts that may be of interest and helpful to you — as both race fans and handicappers. Some of the horses we will be tracking, you will know. Some of them, you may not know — as of yet.
- Finite, winner of the Rags to Riches Stakes in her last start for trainer Steve Asmussen, worked at Churchill Downs this morning. The 2YO daughter of Munnings — who now has won 2 in a row and has a record of 2-2-0 in four lifetime starts — went a half mile in :49.60. That was 37th best of 81 to clock the distance. This gal, a homebred of the Winchell Thoroughbreds, appears to be a stone-cold runner. More to come. Stay tuned.
- Mr Freeze, a 4YO son of To Honor and Serve, worked under the Twin Spires this morning, as well. Over the last 3 starts, this one has a second in an allowance at Ellis Park; a win in the G3 Ack Ack Stakes at Churchill Downs; and a hard-fought second in the G2 Fayette Stakes at Keeneland. Now, he is entered for Friday’s G1 Clark Handicap in Louisville. Blew out for that one with a 4-furlong work in :49.20 this morning. That was 20th best of the 81 to go the distance. In 9 career starts, this one has 4 wins and 3 seconds. When he is right? He is right.
- Sally’s Curlin, a 3YO daughter of Curlin and scheduled to run on Thanksgiving Day in the G2 Falls City Handicap, blew out this morning for trainer Dale Romans, as well. This gal — who won the G3 Chilukki Stakes here on Nov. 2 and has now won three in a row — went 4 furlongs in :49.60. That was the 37th best time out of the 81. She will be running late. But the question remains. Does she want two turns and the 11/8th miles distance? At the one-turn mile? Lights out. Close the door. Party is over. Two turns? We shall see.
- Silver Prospector, a 2YO son of Declaration of War and trained by Steve Asmussen for the ownership team of Ed and Susie Orr, worked this morning under the Twin Spires. He went a half mile in :49.60. That matches the time of Sally’s Curlin. Two starts ago, this one broke his maiden at KEE. Last time out, he was third to the highly-touted and undefeated South Bend in the Street Sense Stakes here. On the improve. Keep tabs.
- Shoplifted, a 2YO son of Into Mischief and trained by Steve Asmussen, worked 5 furlongs at Churchill Downs this morning. The colt — who ran 7th in the Breeders’ Cup Juvenile Stakes in his last trip out — went the distance in a time of 1:01.60. That was the 12th best out of 24 to go that far. After breaking this maiden on debut at Saratoga in July, Shoplifted ran 2nd in the G1 Hopeful Stakes and 5th in the G1 American Pharoah Stakes. High expectations for this one.