(The great Midnight Bisou / Photo by Holly M. Smith)
Every day, we scour the work tabs at racetracks all over the country. We are looking for workouts that may be of interest and helpful to you — as both race fans and handicappers. Some of the horses we will be tracking, you will know. Some of them, you may not know — as of yet.
- Mia Mischief, a 4YO filly by Into Mischief and trained by Steve Asmussen, is currently on a 3-race losing streak after an impressive win over Covfefe in the Roxelana Stakes and a major victory in the G1 Humana Distaff Stakes on May 4. She worked this morning at Churchill Downs, going an easy half mile in :51.40. That was 35th best out of the 39 to clock the distance. In the last outing, Mia Mischief ran third in the G2 Thoroughbred Club of America Stakes at Keeneland. Will return to her most favorite track in Louisville soon. Better things ahead.
- Street Band, winner of the G1 Cotillion Stakes in her last outing for trainer Larry Jones, worked at Churchill Downs this morning, as well. The 3YO daughter of Istan — who now has 5 wins and 3 thirds in 12 lifetime starts — went 5 furlongs over the fast dirt main track in 1:03.40. That was 19th best of 20 to official get a time. Maintenance work. Preparing for the BC Distaff next. Big time.
- Magic On Tap, a 3YO Tapit filly trained by Bob Baffert, has raced only twice this year after breaking the maiden at Del Mar on debut in September of 2018. She has lodged two 2nd place finishes so far, but is sitting on her 3rd race off the comeback next out. Prepared nicely for that attempt this morning at Santa Anita. Worked 4 furlongs in :47.60. That was the bullet move out of 23 to go that far. Looks ready. Now, aim.
- Eight Rings, a 2YO son of Empire Maker and impressive winner of the G1 American Pharoah Stakes last time out, worked this morning at Santa Anita, as well. The colt went 5 furlongs over the main dirt track in 1:01 flat. That was the 2nd fastest time out of 25 to go that far. Will be interesting to see if Team Baffert elects to stay with new rider John Velazquez for the BC Juvenile. Hard to dismiss off his last race. They teamed up well.
- Improbable, a 3YO son of City Zip and another prized pupil from the barn of Team Baffert, worked this morning at Santa Anita, too. The colt, who is coming off a 4th place finish in the G1 Pennsylvania Derby in the last outing, went 5 furlongs in 1:01.20. That was the 3rd best time out of 25 this a.m. This one may be suited for a turn back in distance for the BC Mile. But that race may turn out to be tougher than the Classic. Just saying.
- Midnight Bisou, who started her career on the West Coast before shipping East and transferring to the barn of Steve Asmussen, is now back on the Pacific rim. The 4YO Midnight Lute filly — who is a perfect 7-for-7 this year and the prized doll of the BC Distaff group — worked at Santa Anita this morning. She went 5 furlongs in 1:01.60 — which was 6th best. Interesting approach that Asmussen ships out early. Interesting.