(Improbable before this year’s KY Derby / Photo by Holly M. Smith)
Every day, we scour the work tabs at racetracks all over the country. We are looking for workouts that may be of interest and helpful to you — as both race fans and handicappers. Some of the horses we will be tracking, you will know. Some of them, you may not know — as of yet.
- True Timber, a 5YO son of Mineshaft and trained by Kiaran McLaughlin for owner Calumet Farm, worked at Belmont Park this morning. The multiple Graded Stakes placed winner is coming off a 3rd place finish in the G2 Kelso Handicap at Belmont Park on Sept. 21 in just his 3rd start this year. Nearly won both the G1 Cigar Mile and the G3 Bold Ruler at Aqueduct last winter. Went 5 furlongs today in a nice 1:00.32. That was the 3rd best tim out of 7 to go the distance. Might suggest that he is sitting on a good one next tim e out. Bears watching.
- Eight Rings, a 2YO son of Empire Maker and one of the most talked about juveniles in the country, worked at Santa Anita this morning for trainer Bob Baffert. He went 3 furlongs in :37.20, which was the 10th best time out of 18 to go the distance. In the first 3 career races, Eight Rings has two wins — including an impressive run-away victory in the G1 American Pharoah Stakes on Sept. 27. Primed for the Breeders’ Cup.
- Improbable, one of the talented runners from the Bob Baffert barn that pinned some hopes on the Triple Crown trail, worked this morning at Santa Anita, as well. The 3YO son of City Zip went 4 furlongs in a super-impressive :46.40. That was the bullet move out of 45 to go the distance. Improbable is coming off a disappointing 4th in the G1 Pennsylvania Derby and has only 1 win in 6 starts this year. But he might be shortened up a bit for the Breeders’ Cup. Which may work out just fine. Stay tuned.
- Snapper Sinclair, a 4YO son of City Zip and trained by Steve Asmussen, has suddenly found his way to Santa Anita and far from his normal home of Churchill Downs. This one is coming off an impressive win in the Tourist Mile at KY Downs in his last outing. Now, must be trying to figure out a way to run in the Breeders’ Cup Mile. In 18 lifetime starts, Snapper has a 5-3-2 record and now has earnings over $1.034 million. Wow. Never knew he was a millionaire. He went a half-mile over the dirt track this morning, covering the distance in :51.20. That was 41st out of the 45. Maintenance move, to be sure.
- Eclair, a 2YO daughter of Bernardini and trained by Team Baffert, worked this morning at Santa Anita. Went a half-mile in 1:00.40, which was 2nd best out of 31 to go that far. This one — who cost $420,000 to purchase at a 2YO In-Training Sale earlier this year — broke the maiden last time out in the 3rd career start. Looks like she is getting better, too. Watch out for this one.