(Flagstaff / Photos by Holly M. Smith)
We are back looking at the daily workout schedule from around the country. Every day (Some days?), we scour the work tabs at racetracks all over the country. We are looking for workouts that may be of interest and helpful to you — as both race fans and handicappers. Some of the horses we will be tracking, you will know. Some of them, you may not know — as of yet.
We are back…Take a look:
- The Club, a 2Yo daughter of Union Rags and trained by Christophe Clement, may be one that you wish to follow. This gal — who cost a rather modest $170,000 at the 2020 Keeneland September Yearling Sale — is off to an impressive start to her race career. After two seconds, she broke her maiden last time out at Saratoga. Came from a nice stalking position to put her neck in front at the wire of the 5.5-furlong sprint over the turf. Dam of this one is Glory, who was multiple Graded Stakes placed and is by Tapit. She was 2nd in the G2 Santa Ana Stakes in 2016. Second dam, Ki Maniere, was unraced, but by Sadler’s Wells. Third dam is Dress to Thrill, an Irish-bred who was multiple Graded Stakes winner. Wow pedigree here. The Club worked at Belmont Park this morning. Went 4 furlongs over the main dirt track in :48.77. That was the 12th best time out of 28. On my list.
- By My Standards, a 5YO son of Goldencents and trained by W. Bret Calhoun, worked this morning at Churchill Downs. The multiple Graded Stakes winner — who was 5th in the G1 Whitney Stakes last time out and after a horrendous stumble at the start — went 5 furlongs in 1:02.60. That was a nice maintenance move and 4th of 4 to go the distance. Just 9 days before, he blitzed 5 furlongs in :58.60 — which was the bullet time out of 34 to go that day. So far this year, this one has a win and a second in 3 starts. Look forward to getting him back on his feet again soon. Classy horse. Classy trainer.
- Megacity, a 6YO son of City Zip and trained by Michael Tomlinson, worked this morning at Churchill Downs in final preparation for the Remington Green Stakes coming up this Saturday. That event will be over the sod in Oklahoma. Tuned up with a 5 furlong breeze over the main dirt in Louisville this morn. Went the distance in an impressive :59.20. That was the bullet move out of the 4. Last time out, this one ran 4th in the Buckland Stakes at Colonial Downs. Time before? Won an allowance at Belmont Park. In 21 tries now, Megacity has a 4-3-2 record and has earned over $205,000. Joe Rocco has the call.
- Flagstaff, a 7YO son of Speightstown and one of the better sprinters in the world these days, worked at Santa Anita this morning. Went 4 furlongs over the main dirt track in :48.60. That was the 4th best time out of 32 to clock the distance. This year, Flagstaff has raced 6 times. Has 2 wins, a second and 2 thirds and now has career earnings over $1.035 million for trainer John Sadler. Last time out, 3rd in the G2 Pat O’Brien Stakes. Before that, 2nd in the G2 True North at Belmont Park. And, before that? Winner of the G1 Churchill Downs Stakes on KY Derby Day — beating the likes of Lexitonian and Whitmore. Bango was 6th in that one. Take note.
- Jolie Olimpica, a 5YO mare by Drosselmeyer and trained by Josie Carroll, worked at Woodbine this morning. This multiple Graded Stakes winner — who was 6th in the G2 King Edward Stakes last time out — went 4 furlongs over the AW surface in a snappy time of :48 flat. That was the 3rd best time out of 13 to go that far. Two races back, this one captured the G2 Nassau Stakes at Woodbine. That was the first race in four months, after running 3rd in the G3 San Simeon Stakes at Santa Anita. Class act here. Look for the next outing. Could be tough.