(She’s a Julie winning at Churchill Downs / Photo by Holly M. Smith)
Every day, we scour the work tabs at racetracks all over the country. We are looking for workouts that may be of interest and helpful to you — as both race fans and handicappers. Some of the horses we will be tracking, you will know. Some of them, you may not know — as of yet.
- Wasabi Girl, a 2YO daughter of Shanghai Bobby and trained by Steve Asmussen, has gotten her career off to a very nice start. In 4 races to date, Wasabi Girl has 2 seconds and 2 wins. The last two races have both been victories, the last coming at Churchill Downs on Sept. 21. She was back on the track this morning, working an easy half mile in :51.20. That was 30th best out of 32 to clock the distance. This one was purchased at the Fast-Tipton July Sale of 2018 for $130,000. She was RNA’d for $190,000 at a 2YO Sale in May. Now, she still belongs to the ownership team led by Winchell Thoroughbreds. Interesting history. Will it be an interesting future?
- Silver Prospector, a 2Yo son of Declaration of War and also trained by Asmussen, worked this morning at Churchill Downs, as well. This one went a lot faster, and was asked for a lot more. Went 5 furlongs in a brisk 1:00.60 — which was the bullet move out of 11 to clock the distance. This one is still a maiden, but has raced twice at Saratoga — with a third. Most recently, he was entered in the KY Downs Juvenile Turf Sprint Stakes, where he was 6th after a troubled run. Has big league potential. Light? Come on? Please.
- Engage, a Graded Stakes winning son of Into Mischief and trained by Asmussen, worked at Keeneland this morning. He went 3 furlongs in :39.40, which was the 6th best time out of 6 to breeze that short distance. This was a pure maintenance move for the 4YO colt — who won the Bensalem Stakes at Parx Racing on Sept. 2. Ran 4th in the G1 H. Allen Jerkens Stakes at Saratoga back in August of 2018. Raced only twice this year. Looks to be getting his running shoes on right about now.
- She’s A Julie, a multiple Graded Stakes winning daughter of Elusive Quality and also trained by Asmussen, worked at Keeneland this morning, as well. This gal — coming off a 3rd place finish in the G1 Personal Ensign in her last out — went a half mile in :50.20. Watch out here. Without Midnight Bisou to fight, she looks to be in a pretty good spot moving forward. Although she is likely to draw interest from Elate in the G1 Spinster Stakes on Oct. 6.
- Gingham, a 2YO daughter of Quality Road and trained by Team Baffert, worked this morning at Santa Anita. This gal — who has raced twice and finished second both times — worked a really nice half mile in :47.60. That was the 2nd best time out of 54 to go that far today. This was one of the best works of this young girl’s life, to date, and she may be ready to land a big one soon. She cost $420,000 to purchase at the 2018 KEE September Yearling Sale.
- Core Beliefs, a 4YO son of Quality road and a multiple Graded Stakes winner for trainer Peter Eurton, worked at Santa Anita this morning, as well. This one — coming off a 4th in the G2 San Diego Handicap in the last out and winless since capturing the G2 New Orleans Handicap at the Fair Grounds back in March — went 5 furlongs in 1:00.40. That was the 3rd best time out of 35. Looks like this one is primed.