(Dennis’ Moment was spectacular on Saturday morning / Photo by Holly M. Smith)
Every day, we scour the work tabs at racetracks all over the country. We are looking for workouts that may be of interest and helpful to you — as both race fans and handicappers. Some of the horses we will be tracking, you will know. Some of them, you may not know — as of yet. We will keep a keen eye and stopwatch to see who may be working well:
- Madison’s Luna, a 4YO son of Tapit and trained by Phillip Bauer for the Rigney Racing Stables, is back on the work tab today and brighter things may bet in store for this one. This talented and fast runner won the first two career starts — including a first in the G3 Hutecheson Stakes in March of 2018. Since then, though, he has experienced great spurts of inconsistent spurts. Ran 10th in both the G3 Pat Day Mile and the G2 Woody Stephens a year ago. Came back to win an allowance at Indy Grand on June 19 of this year. But was 6th in an allowance at Ellis Park last out. This morning, he breezed 3 furlongs in :37.40. That was 4th best of 10 to go the distance. Keep an eye on this one. If the odds are right? May be worth a shot.
- Beau Recall, who has captured the heart and soul this year for trainer Brad Cox, worked this morning at Churchill Downs. In the last out, she won the G2 Yellow Ribbon Handicap at Del Mar. Before that, she was second in the G1 Just a Game at Belmont Park and won the G2 Churchill Downs Distaff Turf Mile and the New Orleans Ladies Stakes. In 5 starts this year, she has 3 wins and 2 seconds and has become of the best older grass mares in the world. Worked this morning, going a half mile in :50.20, in a pure maintenance move. That was the 88th best of 107. No concerns here. She’s fit. And, ready.
- Factor This, a 4YO son of The Factor and trained by Brad Cox, worked this morning at Churchill Downs. Went an easy half mile in :50 flat, which was 84th best of the 107. This one has won 3 of 4 starts this year, and is coming off an impressive win in the KY Downs Preview KY Turf Cup Stakes at Ellis Park. Look for this one to show up next at KY Downs for the real thing. Good this year. Very good.
- Monomoy Girl, the 3YO Champ and the best filly and/or mare in the world a year ago, is working toward making her 2019 debut for trainer Brad Cox. The 4YO daughter of Tapizar went a nice half mile in :48.20 this morning, and that was the 18th best time out of the 107. Amazing. Especially when you consider it is only her second published work since returning to serious training a week ago. Second breeze. Second. She is one of the best. As in? Ever.
- Dennis’ Moment, a 2YO son of Tiznow and perhaps one of the best 2YOs in the country right now, worked at Churchill Downs for trainer Dale Romans’ barn. Went 5 furlongs in 1:00.20 — which was the bullet move out of 33 to go the distance. This one broke the maiden last time at Ellis Park by nearly 20 lengths. That’s 20. Lengths. Dynamite talent. For a great ownership team. Look out here.
- Juggernaut, another talented 2YO colt and trained by J. Keith Desormeaux, worked at Churchill Downs this morning, as well. This juvenile son of Goldencents, who broke the maiden on first asking at Ellis Park on Aug. 4, went 5 furlongs in 1:01.20. That was the 4th best time out of 33. Look out for this one, too. Could be headed to a showdown soon with Dennis’ Moment.