(Owendale after winning the G3 Lexington Stakes at Keeneland / Photo by Holly M. Smith)
Every day, we scour the work tabs at racetracks all over the country. We are looking for workouts that may be of interest and helpful to you — as both race fans and handicappers. Some of the horses we will be tracking, you will know. Some of them, you may not know — as of yet. We will keep a keen eye and stopwatch to see who may be working well:
- Gold Standard, a 3YO son of Medaglia d’Oro and trained by Brad Cox, has won 2 in a row now and has never missed the board in 4 lifetime starts. Impressive at Ellis Park on July 21, winning at first ask at the allowance level. Prepped for the next out this morning with a work at Churchill Downs. Went a half mile in :49.80 — which was the 32nd best time out of 55 to clock the distance. Worth watching this one. Bred to do a lot more.
- Limari, a 4YO Medaglia d’Oro filly and also trained by Cox, worked at Churchill Downs this morning, as well. The Graded Stakes placed filly turned in a 4 furlong move in the exacta same time as the one above. This one is coming off two straight 3rd in the G3 Old Forester Mint Julep at Churchill Downs and the Indiana General Assembly Distaff. Before those efforts, though, she had ripped off 4 wins in a row. Bears watching next time out.
- Gray Magician, runner-up to Mr. Money in the G3 Indiana Derby last time out for trainer Peter Miller, worked at Churchill Downs this morning. The 3YO son of Graydar, who was 19th in the KY Derby before that, went a very nice 5 furlongs in 1:00.60. That was the 8th best time out of 42 to clock that distance. This one ran second in the UAE Derby to earn his spot in the KY Derby. Has a 1-4-2 record in 10 lifetime starts to date, and has already earned over $678,000 in purses.
- Owendale, a 3YO son of Into Mischief and trained by Brad Cox, is coming off an impressive win in the G3 Ohio Derby. In the last three outs, he has won the G3 Lexington Stakes and run 3rd to War of Will in the G1 Preakness. May be ready to step it up a notch or two very soon and try out the big boys again in the top echelon. Worked this morning at Churchill. Went 5 furlongs in a ultra-impressive :58.80 — which was the bullet move out of 42 to go the distance. Sitting on a big one? Just maybe.
- Ulele, a 3YO daughter of Candy Ride and another good one from the barn of Cox, worked this morning under the Twin Spires, as well. The gal ripped off a nice 5 furlong work in 1:00.20. That was the 4th best time out of the 42. In 7 lifetime starts, she has never been off the board and has racked up a nice 2-3-2 mark. Is coming off back-to-back seconds in the G2 Black-Eyed Susan at Pimlico and the G3 Iowa Oaks at Prairie Meadows. Look for more of this one. Not found the bottom yet.