(Hog Creek Hustle / Holly M. Smith)
Every day, we scour the work tabs at racetracks all over the country. We are looking for workouts that may be of interest and helpful to you — as both race fans and handicappers. Some of the horses we will be tracking, you will know. Some of them, you may not know — as of yet.
- Blackberry Wine, a 2YO son of Oxbow and trained by Joe Sharp for the owner/breeder Calumet Farm, broke the maiden last time out at Churchill Downs on Nov. 30. He was impressive in victory, running off to win by nearly 6 lengths. Could have been more, probably. Geared down at the wire. That win followed two straight thirds. Worked this morning at the Fair Grounds in New Orleans. Went a half mile over the dirt track in :49 flat. That was the 30th best time out of 151 horses to test the clock at that distance. Look for more out of this one. Looks to be coming into his own now.
- Captivating Moon, a 4YO son of Malibu Moon and trained by Chris Block, tuned up for a run in the Buddy Diliberto Memorial Stakes at the Fair Grounds next Saturday (Dec. 21) with a work in New Orleans this morning. Went a sharp half mile in :48 flat. That was the 5th best time out of the 151. This one ran 3rd in the G3 Arlington Handicap before finishing 7th in this year’s G1 Arlington Million. Has returned to win at Churchill Downs and run a 5th, as well. In 18 lifetime starts, this guy has only 3 wins. But does have 6 seconds and 5 thirds on the resume. Back in 2018, ran 2nd in the G3 Transylvania Stakes at KEE. Talent there.
- Factor This, a 4YO son of The Factor and trained by Brad Cox, is another who is entered for the Diliberto Memorial. Tuned up with a breeze this morning, as well, going a half mile in :49 flat. That was 30th best. This year, he has 3 wins and a second in 7 starts and was 4th in the G3 Calumet Farm KY Turf Cup Stakes at KY Downs back in September. Before that, won the prep for that race at Ellis Park. May be a factor in this upcoming Stakes event.
- Hog Creek Hustle, a 3YO son of Overanalyze and whose only win this year came in the G1 Woody Stephens Stakes at Belmont Park on Belmont Stakes undercard, worked this morning at the Fair Grounds for trainer Vicky Foley. The colt — who was getting his first serious breeze since running 6th in the Breeders’ Cup Sprint at Santa Anita on Nov. 2 — went a cruise-speed :51.20 for the half mile. That was 125th out of the 151. In the 8 starts this year, he has the one win, but has 3 seconds to go along with it. Has now earned over $567,000 in the career. More to come. Stay tuned.
- Marque Prince, a 3YO son of Cairo Prince and trained by Cox, is coming off a nice 3rd place finish in the G3 Commonwealth Turf Stakes at Churchill Downs on Nov. 9. In 6 starts this year, has 3 wins and a third. Worked this morning at the FG and went 4 furlongs in :49.80. That was the 74th best time out of 151. This guy has been a constant workmate with the barn’s headliner, Monomoy Girl, for much of this year. Can shine on his own, too. Look for more.
- Mr. Monomoy, the half-brother to Monomoy Girl and a brilliant winner in the last outing, worked this morning for the Cox barn, too. Is entered for an allowance race in New Orleans next Saturday. Tuned up with a 4 furlong move in :49.40. That was better than Marque! LOL. That was the 54th best time out of the 151. This one could be a real good one. Real good.
- Wheat King, a 2YO son of Tiznow and trained by Mark Casse, is coming off a 7th place finish in the Street Sense Stakes at Churchill Downs in late October. Before that, though, ran two really good races. Got his 3rd published work since the Stakes outing. Went 4 furlongs in :50.80. that was 118th best. This guy has some talent. Watch him on the return.
- Out for a Spin, winner of the G1 Ashland Stakes at KEE this past Spring and 10th in this year’s KY Oaks, returned after a 6 month layup with a third in an allowance race at Churchill Downs on Nov. 9. Got her 3rd published work since that race today with a 5 furlongs move at the FG this morning. Went the distance in 1:01.60 — which was the 6th best time out of 17 to go that far. Look for much more out of this one next time out. Should be sharper.