(Mr. Money winning the G3 Matt Winn at Churchill Downs / Photo by Holly M. Smith)
Every day, we scour the work tabs at racetracks all over the country. We are looking for workouts that may be of interest and helpful to you — as both race fans and handicappers. Some of the horses we will be tracking, you will know. Some of them, you may not know — as of yet. We will keep a keen eye and stopwatch to see who may be working well:
Mr. Money, a super-talented 3YO colt by Goldencents and trained by W. Bret Calhoun, turned in yet another brilliant work on Friday morning. He breezed a half mile in :46.40, which was the bullet move out of 95 to be timed at the distance. Reached out to good friend, Bret, after the work and asked if he and owner Chester Thomas had decided on the next race for this colt. Was told that they “will decide Sunday.” Stay tuned. This could get fun and exciting. In the last 3 starts, Mr. Money has won the G3 Pat Day Mile, the G3 Matt Winn Stakes and the G3 Indiana Derby. All impressively. All going away. Could the G1 Travers be next?
- Henley’s Joy, upset winner of the G1 Belmont Derby and a selection from our very own handicapping portal, worked at Saratoga today for trainer Mike Maker. The 3YO son of Kitten’s Joy, owned by the Bloom Racing Stable, went 5 furlongs in 1:01.95 over the dirt track. That was the 4th best time out of the first 17 to clock the distance. In 11 career starts now, this talented colt has sported a 4-3-0 record. Nice. And, he’s nice, too.
- Beau Recall, a 5YO mare by Sir Dancealot and trained by Brad Cox, is coming off a 2nd in the G1 Just a Game Stakes at Belmont Park in her last start, and a win in the G2 Churchill Distaff Turf Mile before that. In 4 starts this year, after being switched to the care of Cox, she is now 2-2-0 in 2019. All Stakes races. The mare worked at Churchill Downs this morning, going 4 furlongs over the dirt track in :49.20. That was 42nd best of 103 to go that distance. Just a maintenance move. This one could be salty up at Arlington on “Million Day.”
- Chess Chief, a 3YO Into Mischief colt trained by Dallas Stewart, just ran 4th in the G3 Indiana Derby in his last out. Came back to work for the first time since that race on July 13 this morning, and clocked a nice half mile in :48.40. That was the 9th best time out of 103. This one has only 1 win in 9 career starts, but has been running way above the pay grade. Been in 2 Graded Stakes and another one that isn’t. Might be real tough in allowance company.
- Limari, an ultra-talented 3YOu daughter of Medaglia d’Oro and trained by Brad Cox, worked this morning at Churchill Downs. Went an easy half mile in :49.20, and that was still the 42nd best time out of 103 to go the distance. In 5 starts this year, she has 3 wins and 2 thirds. In the last out, she was 3rd in the Indiana General Assembly Distaff. Before that, she was 3rd in the G3 Old Forester Mint Julep.
- Hog Creek Hustle, a 3YO son of Overanalyze and trained by Vickie Foley, is coming off a huge upset win in the G1 Woody Stephens Stakes at Belmont Park on June 8. Has not raced since then, but was back in training at Churchill Downs this morning. Got his 2nd published work since the race, and went 5 furlongs in 1:01.60. That was 12th best out of 26 to go the distance.