(Authentic / Photo Courtesy of Santa Anita)
Every day, we scour the work tabs at racetracks all over the country. We are looking for workouts that may be of interest and helpful to you — as both race fans and handicappers. Some of the horses we will be tracking, you will know. Some of them, you may not know — as of yet.
- Answer In, a 3YO son of Dialed In and trained by Brad Cox, worked this morning at Oaklawn Park, in Hot Springs. This guy has raced 4 times to date with just one win. But he has 2 seconds and a third to add to the resume. Ran 3rd in the G3 Southwest Stakes last time out and was 2nd in the Remington Springboard Mile before that. Take a good look at this one as he prepares for the Arkansas Derby on the first Saturday in May. He breezed an easy half mile today in :48.40. That was the 25th best time out of 159 to go the distance. More to come. Stay tuned.
- Knicks Go, a 4YO son of Paynter and now trained by Cox, worked at Oaklawn Park this morning, as well. The colt — who is a perfect 1-for-1 since moving over to this barn operation — breezed 4 furlongs in :47.40. That was the 2nd fastest time out of 159. Wow time. This guy has always been talented. Won the G1 Breeders’ Futurity as a 2YO. Last year was a wasted year, though, under the tutelage of Joe Sharp. Now, the colt has a future. Again. Look for more out of this one. Soon.
- Shared Sense, a 3YO son of Street Sense and another in the barn of Cox, worked this morning in Hot Springs, too. This guy — who returned off a 6th place finish in the Smarty Jones Stakes to win an allowance event here last time out — went 4 furlongs in :48.40. That was 25th out of the 159. Take note. This one is talented. Keep tabs.
- Shedaresthedevil, a 3YO filly by Daredevil and trained by Cox now, worked this morning at Oaklawn Park. The winner of the G3 Honeybee Stakes in her last start and in her second start since joining this barn operation, went 4 furlongs in :47.80. That was the 6th best time. And, it was impressive. Keep tabs on this one. This filly can run. Big time. And, may be another on the road to the KY Oaks in September.
- Gouverneur Morris, a 3YO son of Constitution and trained by Todd Pletcher, worked at the Palm Beach Downs training facility in South Florida this morning. The colt — who ran 2nd in the G1 Breeder’s Futurity at KEE last October and returned to win an allowance at Tampa Bay Downs on Feb. 14 — went 5 furlongs in 1:01.65. That was the 3rd best time out of the 12. This one — who has 2 wins and a 2nd in 3 career starts — may make the next start in the G1 Florida Derby. Stay tuned.
- Vekoma, winner of the 2019 Blue Grass Stakes at KEE and 12th in the 145th KY Derby, worked at Palm Beach for trainer George Weaver. This 4YO son of Candy Ride has not run since last year’s Derby. Got his 8th published work since returning to training in late January. Went 5 furlongs in 1:01.76. That was 5th best of 12. Should be ready soon for the return.
- Guarana, a 4YO daughter of Ghostzapper and a superstar last year for trainer Chad Brown, worked this morning at the Palm Meadows training center in South Florida. This gal — who has 3 wins and a 2nd in 4 career starts — went an easy half mile in :50.60 over the main dirt track. That was 34th out of 51 to test the distance. Guarana has not started since she was 2nd in the G1 Cotillion Stakes at Parx Racing last September. This was the 4th published work for her since getting back to serious training on Feb. 29. More training to come. But what a delight she is to watch.
- Storm the Court, a 3YO son of Court Vision and trained by Peter Eurton, worked this morning at Santa Anita. The winner of the 2019 Breeders’ Cup Juvenile went a half mile in :49 flat. That was 35th best of 82 to go that far. In his last out, this one ran 3rd to Authentic in the G2 San Felipe Stakes. Now that the KY Derby has been moved to September, this May 5 foal should develop nicely. Don’t give up here. Look at the foal date again.
- Authentic, an undefeated 3YO son of Into Mischief and “The Pressbox’s” #1 rated in our “KY Derby Rankings,” worked this morning at Santa Anita for trainer Bob Baffert. The lynchpin for the “Baffert Bunch ” this year went 5 furlongs in 1:01.80. That was the 17th best out of 36 to go the route. This one is pointed to the Santa Anita Derby next. Guess what? This one was born on May 5, as well. Well, well, well. Another one who should relish the later Derby date.