(Monomoy Girl / Photo by Holly M. Smith)
(Kimari / Photo by Holly M. Smith)
(Abscond / Photo Courtesy of Keeneland)
Every day, we scour the work tabs at racetracks all over the country. We are looking for workouts that may be of interest and helpful to you — as both race fans and handicappers. Some of the horses we will be tracking, you will know. Some of them, you may not know — as of yet.
- Bonny South, winner of the G2 Fair Grounds Oaks for trainer Brad Cox, worked this morning at Keeneland. The 3YO daughter of Munnings has ripped off 3 wins in a row after starting the career with a 4th place finish at Churchill Downs last November. This morning, Bonny South covered 4 furlongs in an easy :49.20. That was the 32nd best time out of 53 to negotiate the distance. Look for this one to crank it back up when racing resumes soon.
- Dominga, a 3YO daughter of Ghostzapper and another talented gal in the barn of Cox, worked at Keeneland this morning, as well. This won — who won the Allen Black Cat LaCombe Memorial at the Fair Grounds in her last start on March 7 — went 4 furlongs, too. In company with the top horse. In 5 career starts, this one has a record of 3 wins and a second.
- Everfast, a 4YO son of Take Charge Indy and trained now by Jack Sisterson for Calumet Farm, worked in Lexington this morning. This one — who ran 2nd to War of Will in the G1 Preakness Stakes last May and was 2nd in the G2 Holy Bull Stakes at Gulfstream before that — went a half mile in :48.20. That was the 13th best time out of the 53. This guy returned to the races off a 6-month layup to run a nice 2nd in the 2020 debut at Oaklawn Park on April 18. Could be returning to nice form soon. Take note.
- Hieronymus, a 3YO son of Girolamo and named after great friend G.D. Hieronymus, worked at Keeneland this morning, too. The turf specialist went 4 furlongs over the main dirt track in the same time as the other Brad Cox horses today. This guy is on a 3-race win streak and has now mastered 4 wins in 5 career starts. Look for more out of this one. Surface scratched.
- Abscond, a 3YO daughter of Blame and a talented grass runner from the barn of trainer Eddie Kenneally, worked over the sod at Keeneland this morning. Went 4 furlongs over a grass course labeled “good,” and did it in a time of :49.80. That was the bullet move out of 5 to go the distance. In 6 career starts to date, Abscond has a record of 2-2-1 . Most recently ran 2nd in the G3 Herecomesthebride Stakes at Gulfstream Park in late February. Only time she was off the board was in last November’s G1 Breeders’ Cup Juvenile Fillies Turf at Santa Anita. Was 7th that day.
- Monomoy Girl, the great Champion of 2018 who missed all of 2019, was back in action this morning at Keeneland. The 4YO daughter of Tapizar — who has a stellar record of 9-2-0 in 11 career starts and has already earned nearly $3 million in purses — went a sparkling 5 furlongs over the dirt track in :59.40. Sweet action. Looks like she is raring.
- Four Wheel Drive, a 3YO son of American Pharoah and a prime contender for some major grass events this year, worked for trainer Wesley Ward over the turf course at Keeneland today. The undefeated winner of the Breeders’ Cup Juvenile Turf Sprint went 5 furlongs in 1:02.20. That was the 3rd best time out of 3 to go the distance over a course labeled as “good.” Super star in the making? We shall see.
- Kimari, a 3YO daughter of Munnings and another talented runner in the barn of Ward, worked the same distance over the grass. This gal — who as a 4-1-0 mark in just 6 starts and is coming off a huge and impressive win in the Purple Mountain Stakes at Oaklawn Park on April 4 — breezed the 5 furlongs in an impressive 1:00.60. That was the 2nd best time out of the 3. Deep closer. Deep talent.