(British Idiom / Photo by Holly M. Smith)
Every day, we scour the work tabs at racetracks all over the country. We are looking for workouts that may be of interest and helpful to you — as both race fans and handicappers. Some of the horses we will be tracking, you will know. Some of them, you may not know — as of yet.
- British Idiom, undoubtedly the Champion 2YO Filly of 2019, worked at the Fair Grounds this morning for trainer Brad Cox. The 2YO daughter of Flashback — who was undefeated in 3 career starts and finished the season with back-to-back wins in the G1 Alcibiades Stakes at Keeneland and the G1 Breeders’ Cup Juvenile Fillies — breezed an easy 3 furlongs in :37.60 — which was the 7th best time out of the first 16 to clock the distance. It was the first published work for the filly since she caught a little break after the Breeders’ Cup. Now, the road begins — to the 2020 KY Oaks. What a beautiful filly.
- Arklow, a 5YO son of Arch and also trained by Cox, worked at the Fair Grounds this morning, as well. This guy — who ran 8th in the Breeders’ Cup Turf after winning the G1 Joe Hirsch Turf Classic at Belmont Park in October — worked a half mile in :48.80 over the dirt track. That was the 4th best time out of 82 to clock the distance. It was his 2nd published work on the comeback trail. In 24 lifetime starts now, Arklow has a record of 6-6-2 and has amassed over $1.816 million in earnings. What a nice career. Right?
- Engage, a 4YO son of Into Mischief and trained by Steve Asmussen, breezed this morning in New Orleans, as well. The colt — who ran 4th in the G1 Breeders’ Cup Sprint after winning the G2 Phoenix Stakes at Keeneland in October — went an easy 4 furlongs in :51 flat. That was 54th best of the 82. This was his 3rd published work since returning to serious training on Dec. 18. Look for more out of this one soon. Cranking it back up for racing action.
- Mr. Misunderstood, a 5YO son of Archarcharch and trained by Cox, got to stretch his legs out a little at the Fair Grounds this morn. The gelding — who finished up his 2019 season with a nice win in the G3 River City Handicap at Churchill Downs, where he is king — went an easy half mile in :50.40. That was 44th best of the 82. This is our very own Holly M. Smith’s barn favorite. If you can’t find Holly some a.m., you can probably catch her over at the Cox barn. Around the stall of Mr. M. They have a thing. LOL.
- Necker Island, a 2YO son of Hard Spun and trained by Stanley Hough for Sagamore Farm, is a youngster that bears watching. This March foal won 2 in a row last year at Churchill Downs, and now has a 2-0-1 record in 3 career starts. Worked this morning at the Palm Meadows Training Center in South Florida. Went 4 furlongs in :49.95. That was the 20th best time out of 61 to make the distance. Keep your eyes on this one. May make a splash as the distances get longer.
- Turtle Trax, a 2YO son of Cairo Prince and trained by one of the game’s all-time best people in Ian Wilkes, worked at the Palm Meadows facility this morning, too. In 4 career starts, has 2 wins and finished the 2019 campaign with a 5th in the G2 Golden Rod Stakes at Churchill Downs. Be interesting to see where he starts out in 2020. Worked a half mile in :50.60 today. That was 35th of 61. More to come here.
- South Bend, a 2YO son of Algorithms and another from the barn of Hough, has been nominated to the Mucho Macho Man Stakes at Gulfstream Park. Don’t know yet if he will make the gate for that one, but in 4 lifetime starts so far — he has 3 wins. Tough wins. Narrow wins. Worked this morning at the Palm Meadows training track. Went 5 furlongs in 1:03.65. That was 8th best of 15. He was 6th in the KY Jockey Club Stakes at Churchill Downs in his last start and only defeat. But don’t be mislead. He was right there banging and knocking in-between horses late. How far will he go? Time will tell. But talented. And, gutty as heck.
- Auberge, a 2YO son of Palace and trained by Bob Baffert, may be worth watching early in 2020. This one won on debut at Santa Anita on Oct. 27. Ran off by nearly 8 lengths to win easily, impressively, and under wraps. Worked this morning at Santa Anita just the way he ran. Breezed 4 furlongs in a brisk :47.20. That was the bullet move out of 101 horses to clock the distance today. Wow time. How many Iowa-breds do you think Baffert has trained in his career? We will be tracking down that intel. But he must look the part, too. Sold for a whopping $570,000 at the Fasig-Tipton Midlantic 2YO Sale in 2019. Take serious note.
- Bast, a 2YO daughter of Uncle Mo and a prime contender for the 2020 KY Oaks for trainer Bob Baffert, worked this morning at Santa Anita, as well. She went 5 furlongs in 1:00.20. That was 3rd best of 125 to go that far. In her last outing, Bast bested a field of 4 others in the G1 Starlet Stakes at Los Alamitos. In 5 career starts now, she has a 3-1-1 record — with the 3rd coming in the G1 Breeders’ Cup Juvenile Fillies to British Idiom. Watch the progress reports. Coming soon.
- Thousand Words, a 2YO son of Pioneerof the Nile and trained by Team Baffert, is undefeated in 2 career starts and won the G2 Los Alamitos Futurity in his last outing. Won that event by a neck. But he is considered one of the barn’s top contenders for the 2020 Road to the KY Derby. Worked this morning. Went 5 furlongs in 1:01.20. That was 26th best of the 125. One word for Thousand Words. Contender.