(Trainer Bob Baffert had Medina Spirit back on the Santa Anita main track Sunday / Coady Photography)
Every day, we scour the work tabs at racetracks all over the country. We are looking for workouts that may be of interest and helpful to you — as both race fans and handicappers. Some of the horses we will be tracking, you will know. Some of them, you may not know — as of yet.
- Mr Freeze, a multiple Graded Stakes winning son of To Honor and Serve for trainer Dale Romans, breezed at Gulfstream Park today. The 6YO horse went 4 furlongs in :48.56, which was the 15th best time out of 51 to negotiate the distance. This one ran 11th in the G1 Pegasus World Cup here last time out in late January and it was the third disappointing performance in a row. Can this one return to the form that got him the win in the G2 Fayette Stakes at KEE last October? Maybe. Perhaps. But maybe a little less company and something other than a G1 next time out could help?
- Ny Traffic, a 4YO son of Cross Traffic and a colt trained by Safe Joseph, worked at Gulfstream Park this morning, as well. Went a half-mile in a very nice :47.53, which was the 6th best time at the distance. This one has not made the starting gate in the afternoon since running 9th in the G1 Preakness Stakes last October. Today’s work was the 6th published work since being returned to serious training on Jan. 3, though. Should be about ready to pop. Keep an eye out.
- Tarantino, a 3YO son of Pioneerof the Nile and trained by Rodolphe Brisset, is coming off a very impressive 2nd in the G3 Holy Bull Stakes at Gulfstream Park on Jan. 30. Finished behind the ultra-impressive Greatest Honour in that one, but stamped himself as a possible contender on this year’s “Road to the Kentucky Derby.” Tarantino was back on the track and in serious mode this morning at the Palm Meadows Training Center in South Florida. Worked an easy half-mile in :49.45, which was the 17th best time out of 32 to go the distance. Expect this one to show up in the next round of the Florida preps. And, the farther they go? The better this one may get. The connections paid just $240,000 for this guy at the 2020 KEE November Breeding Stock Sale. Could turn out to be a very nice purchase. Keep watching.
- Kimari, a multiple Stakes winner by Munnings and trained by Wesley Ward, worked at Palm Meadows today, as well. The 4YO went 5 furlongs over the turf course there in a very nice time of :57.35. That was the bullet move out of 23 to travel the sod today. It was the 5th published work since being returned to serious training in mid-January. In 8 career starts to date, this one has a record of 4-2-1 and has earned nearly $500,000. Last time out, this one was 3rd in the Music City Stakes at KY Downs last September.
- Medina Spirit, a 3YO Florida-bred son of Protonico and trained by Team Baffert, was back on the track doing some serious work at Santa Anita this a.m. The colt — who certainly looks KY Derby bound — is coming off an impressive and gutty win in the G3 Robert B. Lewis Stakes at Santa Anita on Jan. 30. In three career starts now, this one has 2 wins and a second. Did lose the G2 Sham Stakes by a diminishing 3/4-length to the highly-acclaimed Life Is Good. Today, Medina Spirit stretched the legs to the tune of 4 furlongs in a leisurely :49 flat. That was the 25th best time out of 52. Look for more out of this one before the shouting is done.
- Spielberg, a 3YO son of Union Rags and also trained by Team Baffert, worked at Santa Anita today, as well. The winner of the G2 Los Alamitos Futurity two starts ago went 4 furlongs in the same time as his roommate. Last time out, Spielberg was a non-factor 4th in the Lewis. What’s next for this one, who seems capable of a big performance and also capable of a flat one? Time will tell.
- Mucho Unusual, a 5YO California-bred son of Mucho Macho Man and trained by Tim Yakteen, worked at Santa Anita today. The multiple Graded Stakes winner went 5 furlongs in 1:02.60 in a pure maintenance move. That was the 34th best time out of 55 to clock the distance. In the last two starts, this one has won the G3 Robert J. Frankel Stakes and the G3 Megahertz Stakes at “The Great Race Place.” More to come.
- Heels Up, a 3YO filly by Twirling Candy and another from the barn of HOF trainer Bob Baffert, put in some serious time on the Santa Anita main track today. This classy gal went 6 furlongs in 1:13.80. That was the 2nd best time out of 5 to go that far. In 3 career starts to date, this one has a record of 1-1-1. Last time out was last Fall, when she was 3rd in the Dezi Arnaz Stakes at Del Mar. Ran behind Astute that day. May be one to watch in the future. After all, comes from the world’s best training operation.