(Chestertown / Photo by Holly M. Smith)
Every day, we scour the work tabs at racetracks all over the country. We are looking for workouts that may be of interest and helpful to you — as both race fans and handicappers. Some of the horses we will be tracking, you will know. Some of them, you may not know — as of yet.
- British Idiom, the 2YO Champion filly of a year ago and undefeated in 3 career starts, worked this morning at the Fair Grounds in New Orleans. The 3YO Flashback filly went 5 furlongs in a time of 1:01.80. That was the 20th best time out of 50 to go that far. It was her 6th published work since returning to serious training on Dec. 29. It was her second straight 5-furlong move. Looks to be about ready to begin 2020. KY Oaks here we go.
- By My Standards, winner of the 2019 Louisiana Derby for trainer W. Bret Calhoun, worked this morning at the Fair Grounds, as well. The 4YO son of Goldencents went 5 furlongs in 1:00.20. That was the 2nd best time out of 50 go negotiate the distance. It was the colt’s 8th published work since Dec. 5 when he first showed his brilliant face back in New Orleans. Has not run since finishing 11th in last year’s KY Derby. Looks ready to return now. Let’s roll.
- Bell’s the One, a 4YO daughter of Majesticperfection and trained by Neil Pessin, worked this morning in New Orleans, too. This gal — who ran 5th in the G1 La Brea Stakes at Santa Anita in her last start on Dec. 28 — breezed a nice 5 furlongs in 1:00.60. That was the 4th best time out of the 50. This lady is very versatile. Has won over an AW track at Arlington Park. Has won on the dirt and the turf, too. Has won the G2 Raven Run Stakes. Has run 2nd in the G2 Eight Belles Stakes. Look for more out of this one now that she is back in home territory. Talent.
- Chestertown, a most beautiful son of Tapit and trained by Steve Asmussen, worked this morning. Went 5 furlongs in 1:01.20. That was 13th best of the 50. Last time out, Chestertown ran third in a high-fancy allowance to Blackberry Wine and Digital. Both of those are now being pointed to Triple Crown preps. Chestertown could join that crowed soon, too. Broke his maiden at Aqueduct on Dec. 1. Broke it impressively with a near 3-length victory over a field of 7 others. Look for more from this one. You can be disappointed in the last outing; but don’t dismiss. Not yet.
- Finite, a 3YO daughter of Munnings and winner of the Silverbulletday Stakes at the Fair Grounds in her last outing, worked this morning over the same track. Went an easy half mile in 1:02 flat. That was 24th best of the 50. This gal has now won 4 in a row — including 3 Stakes events — and is definitely on the road to the KY Oaks. Gutty and good. Could be great.