(Omaha Beach / Photo by Holly M. Smith)
Every day, we scour the work tabs at racetracks all over the country. We are looking for workouts that may be of interest and helpful to you — as both race fans and handicappers. Some of the horses we will be tracking, you will know. Some of them, you may not know — as of yet.
- Omaha Beach, the most wonderful 4YO son of War Front and the leading contender for the upcoming G1 Pegasus World Cup, tuned-up with his last major work over the Gulfstream Park strip this morning.The brilliant bay colt breezed a handy 5 furlongs in an easy 1:00.72. That was the 3rd fastest time out of 25 to go the distance, and he was never asked for any lick whatsoever. In 10 lifetime starts to date, Omaha Beach has recorded a resume of 5 wins, 4 seconds and 1 third. In 2019, he won G1 events at 11/8 miles (Arkansas Derby), at 6 furlongs (Santa Anita Championship) and at 7 furlongs (Malibu Stakes). He ran 2nd in the G1 Breeders’ Cup Mile at another distance. One of the best horses in memory. Simply put. And, he may top it all off in the Pegasus World Cup for trainer Richard Mandella. Here’s hoping.
- Tonalist’s Shape, a 3YO daughter of Tonalist and trained by Safe A. Joseph, Jr., worked this morning at Gulfstream Park, as well. This gal — who cost a modest $60,000 at the OBS April 2YO Sale a year ago — is a perfect 3-for-3 to start the career, and is coming off an eye-popping 9-length victory in the Hut Hut Stakes at GP on Nov. 30. Got her 4th published work since that are this morning. Went 4 furlongs in a brisk :47.49. That was the 4th best time out of 70 to work the distance. Might want to put this one on your list of potential KY Oaks candidates. She’s impressing.
- Henley’s Joy, a 4YO son of Kitten’s Joy and trained by Mike Maker, is being pointed o the Pegasus World Cup Turf and he got his last major prep for that this morning. Worked 5 furlongs over the dirt track in a methodical 1:02.22. That was the 16th best time out of the 25. Maintenance move only. This was the colt’s 4th published work since he ran 8th in the G1 Hollywood Derby at Del Mar on Nov. 30. Looks ready. Is he good enough? We shall all see.
- Tiz the Law, a prime contender for this year’s Road to the KY Derby and a son of Constitution, worked this morning at Gulfstream Park for trainer Barclay Tagg. Went 5 furlongs in 1:01.55. That was the 8th best time out of the 25. It was his 4th published work since running a very game 3rd in the G2 KY Jockey Club Stakes at Churchill Downs on Nov. 30. This guy — who cost $110,000 at the 2018 Fasig-Tipton Saratoga Yearling Sale — has raced 3 times in the career. Broke the maiden on debut at Saratoga. Came back to win the G1 Champagne Stakes at Belmont Park in October. Finished the 2YO season in the KY Jockey Club. Game. Talented. Watch out.
- British Idiom, the undefeated daughter of Flashback and undoubtedly the best 2YO filly of all in 2019, worked this morning at the Fair Grounds for trainer Brad Cox. She went a very nice half mile in :48.40. That was the 15th best time out of 58 to go the distance. It was the 3YO filly’s 4th published work since returning to serious training in New Orleans on Dec. 29. Look for this one to take the same route to the KY Oaks as her roommate — the Champ, Monomoy Girl. Looking forward to seeing both of these gals back at the races soon.
- Taraz, the best filly prospect in the land that isn’t named British Idiom and also trained by Cox, worked at the Fair Grounds this morning, as well. This 3YO daughter of Into Mischief went 5 furlongs in a eye-catching 1:00.40. That was the 7th best time out of 39 to go the distance. Taraz is being pointed to the Martha Washington Stakes at Oaklawn Park and there is talk that she may end up on the “Road to the KY Derby,” before all is said and done. That’s big talk. But she has a big walk. Stay tuned.