(Owendale after winning the G3 Lexington Stakes / Photo by Holly M. Smith)
Every day, we scour the work tabs at racetracks all over the country. We are looking for workouts that may be of interest and helpful to you — as both race fans and handicappers. Some of the horses we will be tracking, you will know. Some of them, you may not know — as of yet. We will keep a keen eye and stopwatch to see who may be working well:
- Gamblin Train, a 3YO Bullet Train filly trained by my great friend Buff Bradley, worked at Churchill Downs this morning. The gal went an impressive half mile in :46.40, which was the bullet move out of 37 to go that far. Swift, for this late closer. The last time out, Gamblin Train ran 7th in the G3 Regret Stakes at Churchill Downs. Before that, though, she had 2 wins and 3 thirds in the previous 5 races. She’s a talent. Look for more soon.
- Owendale, a 3YO son of Into Mischief and trained by Brad Cox, worked at Churchill Downs this morning, as well. This one — who has won the G3 Lexington Stakes and the G3 Ohio Derby sandwiched around a 3rd in the G1 Preakness Stakes — went an easy half mile in :49.80. That was the 22nd best time out of 37 to clock the distance. He may be ready to tackle the big boys up at Saratoga soon. Keep an eye out. Talent.
- Whiskey Echo, a 3YO son of Tiznow and trained by Steve Asmussen, worked at Churchill Downs this morn. Went 5 furlongs in 1:01.40. A very useful move. That was 6th best of 18 to go that far. In his last start, Whiskey Echo ran 6th in the G3 Dwyer Stakes to Code of Honor. Before that, though, he had never missed the board in 4 starts — with a couple of wins. Look for the barn to spot this one a little easier next out for the Winchell Thoroughbreds.
- Qahira, a 3YO daughter of Cairo Prince and trained by Team Baffert, worked at Del Mar this morning. The talented filly went a half mile in :48.40. That was the 8th best time out of 43 to clock the distance. In 4 starts to date, she has a couple of wins — including an allowance victory last time out on July 7 at Los Al. May be Stakes time soon.
- Copper Town, a 5YO son of Speightstown and most recently sold to trainer Wesley Ward at the Fasig-Tipton July Horses of Racing Age Sale, worked at Keeneland this morning. He went an easy half mile in :49.80 — which was the 15th best time out of 15 to go that far. It was his second published work since the Sale. This guy — who has 3 wins and 2 seconds in 7 career races — could still be a real racing threat if Ward can work his magic. Stay tuned on this one.