(Code of Honor / Holly M. Smith)
Every day, we scour the work tabs at racetracks all over the country. We are looking for workouts that may be of interest and helpful to you — as both race fans and handicappers. Some of the horses we will be tracking, you will know. Some of them, you may not know — as of yet.
- Code of Honor, winner of the G1 Travers Stakes and the G1 Jockey Club Gold Cup in each of his last two starts for trainer Shug McGaughey, got his final tuneup for the Breeders’ Cup Classic this coming Saturday. Worked this morning at Belmont Park. Breezed a half mile in a modest :53.82 — which was the bullet move out of 2 to go that far over the main dirt track. Will ship to Santa Anita soon. Can an East Coast runner convert to the West Coast. We shall see.
- Gray Magician, an improving 3YO son of Graydar for the Peter Miller band, worked this morning at Churchill Downs. This colt won an allowance event at KEE last time out, on the heels of a nice second in the G3 Smarty Jones at Parx and a win in the Ellis Park Derby. Went a half in :49.80 — which was the 23rd best time out of 48 to clock the distance this a.m. Look for more out of this one this Fall. Clicking now.
- Longclaw, a 2YO son of Kitten’s Joy and scheduled to run today at Churchill Downs before rains washed his appointed race off the grass, worked instead. He breezed a half mile in :49.40. That was 14th best of the 48. This one has run two thirds in a row, the last coming in a Stakes event down at KY Downs. Should break his maiden soon. Looks to be figuring things out for a top barn operation.
- Go Google Yourself, winner of the Locust Grove Stakes and the Groupie Doll Stakes in her last two, worked this morning at Churchill Downs. She went 5 furlongs for trainer Paul McGee in 1:02 flat. That was 17th best of 33 to go that far. In 17 lifetime starts now, this daughter of Into Mischief has a stellar record of 6 wins, 4 seconds and 3 thirds and has earned nearly $500,000 in purses. Look for more.
- Sally’s Curlin, a 3YO daughter of Curlin and trained by Dale Romans, is owned in part by my great friend Mike Schnell. A late runner, Sally’s Curlin is expected to run in a Stakes event at Churchill Downs soon. She warmed up to that challenge with a work this morning. She went 5 furlongs in 1:00.80, which was 6th best of the 33. This gal has a lot of talent, and is just now scratching the surface. Good luck to this one. A lot.