(Whitmore winning at Keeneland / Photo Courtesy of Keeneland)
Every day, we scour the work tabs at racetracks all over the country. We are looking for workouts that may be of interest and helpful to you — as both race fans and handicappers. Some of the horses we will be tracking, you will know. Some of them, you may not know — as of yet. We will keep a keen eye and stopwatch to see who may be working well:
- Prince of Thieves, a 2YO son of Into Mischief and trained by Mark Casse for owner Tracy Farmer, worked this morning at Churchill Downs. The juvenile colt — who won on debut at Ellis Park on July 26 — went an easy half mile in :49.20. That was the 10th best time out of 24 to make the distance. The homebred is out of the unraced mare Dais, a daughter of Divine Park. The second dam, Outsource, was unraced, as well. The third dam? True Grit, by Woodman, was winless in one start. So…this one is making it all on his own.
- Proliferate, a 3YO son of Declaration of War and also trained by Casse, worked this morning under the Twin Spires. This one — who has raced twice previously, with a win and a second — went 5 furlongs in a brisk :59.20. That was the bullet move of the day out of 12 to score the distance. Proliferate has not started since January at Gulfstream Park, but today’s move was the 5th published work since July 18. May be a morning session or two away, but should find the starting gate again soon. When he does? Pay note.
- Whitmore, now a 6YO gelded son of Pleasantly Perfect and trained by Ron Moquett, worked this morning at Churchill Downs. This one — who has earned over $2.587 million in a brilliant race career — got his 3rd published work since returning to the track in earnest on Aug. 1. Went 5 furlongs in a nice 1:00.80 — which was the 7th best time of the 12. This veteran sprinter — who has taken on some of the best in the game over the past 4 years — has not run since finishing 8th in the G2 True North Stakes at Belmont Park on June 7. Before that, he was 5th in the G1 Churchill Downs. But, before that one and three starts ago, he was second in the G3 Count Fleet Sprint Handicap at Oaklawn Park. In 28 lifetime starts, he as a 12-8-2 record. Great career for a stellar individual.
- Paradise Woods, now a 5YO daughter of Union Rags and trained now by John Shirreffs, worked this morning at Del Mar. Went a brisk half mile in :46.80 — which was the bullet move out of 55 to work the distance. Brilliant at times, for sure. Disappointing at time, you bet. But in 16 lifetime tries, Paradise Woods has 4 wins, 3 seconds and 3 thirds. She has amassed over $1.003 million in earnings. And, she is a G1 winner. Hard to figure, sometimes. Tough not to love, though.
- Toinette, a 4YO daughter of Scat Daddy, has raced only 7 times in her career to date for trainer Neil Drysdale. But she has made nearly the most out of the abbreviated career. Five times she has crossed the finish line first and made her way to the winner’s circle. Made her 2019 debut on Aug. 7 at Del Mar. Won that allowance event. Today, she got her 2nd published work since the win, and went 6 furlongs in 1:14.80 — which was the 4th best out of 4 to go that far. Won the G3 Autumn Miss Stakes at Santa Anita to end the 2018 year. Only bad loss came in the G1 Belmont Oaks. This one could be on the road to something real good, real soon. Watch out.