(By My Standards before this year’s KY Derby / Photo by Holly M. Smith)
Every day, we scour the work tabs at racetracks all over the country. We are looking for workouts that may be of interest and helpful to you — as both race fans and handicappers. Some of the horses we will be tracking, you will know. Some of them, you may not know — as of yet.
- Recruiting Ready, a 5YO son of Algorithms and trained by Stanley Hough for the private shop of Sagamore Farm, worked this morning at Belmont Park in New York. This one — who won the Bet on Sunshine Stakes at Churchill Downs last time out and has a 3-2-1 mark in 9 starts this year — went a snappy 4 furlongs in :47 flat. That was the bullet move out of 40 to test the distance today. Interesting move considering that this one is already entered for the Fall Highweight Handicap at Aqueduct this coming Sunday. Take a look at this one. He’s good right now. For sure. Maybe too much today? We shall see.
- Taraz, a 2YO son of Into Mischief and trained by Brad Cox for the breeder/owner Juddmonte Farm, worked at Churchill Downs today. This one — who broke his maiden at Churchill Downs on debut on Nov. 14 by a whopping 71/2 lengths — went 5 furlongs in 1:01 flat. That was the bullet move out of the 4 that marked this distance today. Keep an eye out here. This one could be a good one. A really good one.
- By My Standards, impressive winner of this year’s G2 Louisiana Derby, is working his way back to you and trainer W. Bret Calhoun. This 3YO son of Goldencents has not started since he was 11th in this year’s troubled KY Derby. But today, the colt got his 2nd published work since returning to serious training at the Fair Grounds in New Orleans on Nov. 29. He went 3 furlongs today in :37 flat. That was the 4th best time out of 7 to work the distance. In 6 career starts to date, this one has a record of 2-2-1. Look for him to be a tough out when he returns. Trainer is one of the best. Horse is too.
- Free Cover, a 3YO daughter of Congrats and another trained by Calhoun, worked a hole in the wind at the Fair Grounds this morning. This gal — who was 10th in the Lexus Raven Run Stakes at KEE in the last outing on Oct. 19 — went a nice half mile in :48.40. That was the 2nd best time out of 41 to go that far. In 8 starts this year, she has a 2-2-2 mark. Look for more when this one returns to action.
- Halama, a 2YO daughter of Pioneerof the Nile and trained by Brendan Walsh, worked this morning in New Orleans, as well. This gal — who won on debut at Churchill Downs on Nov. 9 by 2 easy and impressive lengths — went 5 furlongs in 1:02.80. That was the 18th best time out of 24 to go that far. Look for this one to make a serious impression on the upcoming races at the Fair Grounds. She has the look of one that will relish the longer distances that are sure to come this Winter. Look out.